Aller au contenu

La langue française contre les zombies (les anglophones)

Kilgore Trout

Messages recommendés

I think you completely missed the point of the article. He is mocking those that fear the "english" and emploring those that switch to english to "accomodate" rather then continuing to speaking french. He is saying that by making french a part of everyones daily life, the french language will have a better chance of surviving and growing because those that stuggle with the language will improve and they are actually willing to try to if given the chance, and that makes it better for everyone.

I think this thread is one of the clearest expressions of Quebec anglo angst I have ever seen.

Since the phenomenon is mainly based on years of accumulated propaganda, it is difficult to put into words why anglos feel "cheated" out of some kind of birthright they seem to think they feel they might perhaps have in a way or something.

Which is why "..... ..... ....." was the perfect way to express this feeling.

Nice one, Kilgore. Mayby you could work for the "no" campaign in the next referendum.

Perhaps the solution would be to create an "Englishtown" that would cover large parts of Montreal, the Eastern Townships, National Capital Region, etc. similar to a Chinatown concept. That way stores could have their signs in English, sell merchandise with English labels, go to English schools, etc. That way, it would be attractive to tourists and locals, and it would be a choice to go or live there, much like it is a choice to go to Little Italy or Chinatown.

After a few years, if people want to expand or contract the areas covered by Englishtowns, they would be free to do so.

Bottom line: Throughout history, languages come and go due to a variety of reasons. To make any laws regarding the use of languages is to go against natural forces beyond the scope of human understanding. The same for the evolution or devolution of languages.

My opinion: People should be allowed to do whatever they want. If I opened a store where everything was in Russian and people complained, I would tell them "Feel free to take your business elsewhere". My business, my decision.

Perhaps the solution would be to create an "Englishtown" that would cover large parts of Montreal, the Eastern Townships, National Capital Region, etc. similar to a Chinatown concept. That way stores could have their signs in English, sell merchandise with English labels, go to English schools, etc. That way, it would be attractive to tourists and locals, and it would be a choice to go or live there, much like it is a choice to go to Little Italy or Chinatown.

After a few years, if people want to expand or contract the areas covered by Englishtowns, they would be free to do so.

Bottom line: Throughout history, languages come and go due to a variety of reasons. To make any laws regarding the use of languages is to go against natural forces beyond the scope of human understanding. The same for the evolution or devolution of languages.

My opinion: People should be allowed to do whatever they want. If I opened a store where everything was in Russian and people complained, I would tell them "Feel free to take your business elsewhere". My business, my decision.

you mean the West Island?