Aller au contenu

jesseps

Messages recommendés

Usually, you hear stories of people fleeing to America, not the other way around.

But the jittery state of the U.S. economy is driving an increasing number of its citizens to seek better prospects north of the border.

Americans are the latest economic refugees, and they’re heading to Canada.

(Courtesy of Global Post)

Read more by clicking the link above. So is Canada now going to be the new promise land of prosperity and freedom for the world, like what the US was decades ago? So it will now be called the Canadian dream? White picket fence, et al.

All the best to the ones that get jobs here. Plus didn't Canada change immigration laws back in July?

• Réponses 24
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Hopefully not. That kind of mentality tends to give people an overabundance of arrogance (as seen in exhibit U.S. of A.)

But I'm glad we can be to the States what they were to us in the nineties...a refuge and a source of hope. I'd love to see some of the Canadian professionals who moved there during this period make their way back, and the Americans can come too I suppose :P

Ha! Did you read the comments at the bottom of the Global Post article?

Les États-Unis pourraient devenir pour nous ce que le Mexique est pour les États-Unis. On verra peut etre des day laborers américains dans les stationnements de Réno Dépôt... :silly:

HAHAHA.... ouch.

I guess Harper would have to change the gun laws and some whack jobs would have to be waiting at the border. Waiting to shoot people trying to come over ;)

When I posted the topic, I didn't see any comments. I will totally go check it out now.

Hopefully not. That kind of mentality tends to give people an overabundance of arrogance (as seen in exhibit U.S. of A.)

What arrogance? The many Americans I've met all seem to be perfectly normal... if you want arrogance, go to France :rotfl:

(Courtesy of Global Post)

Read more by clicking the link above. So is Canada now going to be the new promise land of prosperity and freedom for the world, like what the US was decades ago? So it will now be called the Canadian dream? White picket fence, et al.

All the best to the ones that get jobs here. Plus didn't Canada change immigration laws back in July?

The problem with freedom in Canada is that we don't really have any - hell, when you talk of freedom people look a little sideways and the Canadian intelligentsia tends to regard it as "an American thing" that is not applicable to Canadians... certainly the nature of our constitution (Notwithstanding Clause, "reasonable limits") doesn't help matters.

Modifié par Cyrus

Hey hey Cyrus, it's not me talking here...Obama himself claims it. Besides, we're not talking about individuals here, we're talking about a mentality that has been adopted by a nation, and it'd be a travesty of what Canada is to the world for it to rub off on us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/barackobama/5101244/President-Barack-Obama-America-has-been-arrogant-and-dismissive-towards-Europe.html

The problem with freedom in Canada is that we don't really have any - hell, when you talk of freedom people look a little sideways and the Canadian intelligentsia tends to regard it as "an American thing" that is not applicable to Canadians....

You are either kidding, very young or haven't read or traveled much to make such a statement.

What arrogance? The many Americans I've met all seem to be perfectly normal... if you want arrogance, go to France :rotfl:

The problem with freedom in Canada is that we don't really have any - hell, when you talk of freedom people look a little sideways and the Canadian intelligentsia tends to regard it as "an American thing" that is not applicable to Canadians... certainly the nature of our constitution (Notwithstanding Clause, "reasonable limits") doesn't help matters.

Yes, their constitution is such a worthy collection of freedom loving guarantees to the descendants of Thomas Jefferson; 200 slaves and George Washington; 300 slaves: that all of these said descendants will likely wear their family names like a Target logo for aeons. If that is not arrogance, tell me what is; notwithstanding being understood.

You are either kidding, very young or haven't read or traveled much to make such a statement.

See, exactly. While obviously Canada is freer than the typical list of hellholes, compared to serious countries it is at best mediocre. One example of many - freedom of expression does not exist here, even despite being on the "Charter of Rights and Freedoms". In the US nobody would accept this. We have several provinces including our own that actively have police officers acting as judge and jury and punishing people without any oversight or recourse. And an altogether more scary prospect, that the government can legally abduct you and detain you for three days if it feels like it, something they were allowed to do for some time, expired and is now ready to be reinstated. What the hell?

Modifié par Cyrus