Aller au contenu

Parc Jean-Drapeau/Parc des Nations : rénovations

jesseps

Messages recommendés

il y a 13 minutes, SameGuy a dit :

Sorry, I depend on my car for the vast majority of my displacements as well, but if I’m going to Six Flags (haven’t been since it was sold to the Americans, but I digress) or to PJD or IND/Villeneuve, I’m getting there by Métro 10 times out of 10. 

Do you go there alone or do you take your family too?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rocco said:

Le meilleur endroit pour faire un parc et ils vont laisser ça en stationnement gigantesque! Belle ambition!

Screenshot_20220128-164417_Samsung Internet.jpg

C'est juste en attendant l'annonce de la téléphérique qui va joindre la Station Dufresne du REM de l'Est . 😁

La Promenade Fluviale va se rendre à la pointe de l'ile aussi!

image.png.23b689dda99bc97b2c821d4dc8fbac00.png

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, ToxiK said:

Do you go there alone or do you take your family too?

I used to love taking the metro when I was a kid. I grew up not far away from where I live now out in the middle of the West Island, and we took public transit everywhere. Later on (in the 80s), dad would drive to a metro station and then we would take public transit from there. More often than not, though, from the time we were able to walk, we would take the CN train from Roxboro to Central Station and then continue on foot or by metro from there to wherever. Whether it was a game at the Big O, or an OSM concert at PDA, or a day at LaRonde, we usually used public transit.

• Like 1

il y a 9 minutes, SameGuy a dit :

I used to love taking the metro when I was a kid. I grew up not far away from where I live now out in the middle of the West Island, and we took public transit everywhere. Later on (in the 80s), dad would drive to a metro station and then we would take public transit from there. More often than not, though, from the time we were able to walk, we would take the CN train from Roxboro to Central Station and then continue on foot or by metro from there to wherever. Whether it was a game at the Big O, or an OSM concert at PDA, or a day at LaRonde, we usually used public transit.

Good way to move around.  I don't have kids, nor a car, so I use public transit.  But for families, especially living in the suburbs, public transit is less accessible.  You can shorten the part on the trip in public transit by parking the car near a metro station (if there is a parking) and make the rest of the trip in the metro, but going to parc Jean Drapeau with young kids and maybe a cooler and other stuff for a picnic in public transit is not that easy.  And if not all the family members (excluding youn kids who can travel for free) don't have a OPUS card, it can end up costing more than the parking.

Our public transit system is pretty good to move single people without "cargo" from the city to downtown in day time on work days, but it is not as good to move a group of people, including kids, with carrying stock from the suburb on a week-end or a hollyday (even truer in the evening and in winter).  We need to keep that in mind when thinking about removing parking spaces.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Il y a 21 heures, ToxiK a dit :

Good way to move around.  I don't have kids, nor a car, so I use public transit.  But for families, especially living in the suburbs, public transit is less accessible.  You can shorten the part on the trip in public transit by parking the car near a metro station (if there is a parking) and make the rest of the trip in the metro, but going to parc Jean Drapeau with young kids and maybe a cooler and other stuff for a picnic in public transit is not that easy.  And if not all the family members (excluding youn kids who can travel for free) don't have a OPUS card, it can end up costing more than the parking.

Our public transit system is pretty good to move single people without "cargo" from the city to downtown in day time on work days, but it is not as good to move a group of people, including kids, with carrying stock from the suburb on a week-end or a hollyday (even truer in the evening and in winter).  We need to keep that in mind when thinking about removing parking spaces.

Just driving to PJD (weekends in particular) has been for decades, in itself, a massive pain. Parking is not really the issue; the park just can't handle ever increasing traffic. Good on planners for understanding that, and focusing on making mass transit more accessible. The recent master plan might not center on the needs of a single mother hauling 3000lb of lumber, going on a picnic/multi-activities day trip with her 10 kids that all have ADHD, but it's coherent, efficient, and does retains practical options for edge cases.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, mk.ndrsn said:

Just driving to PJD (weekends in particular) has been for decades, in itself, a massive pain. Parking is not really the issue; the park just can't handle ever increasing traffic. Good on planners for understanding that, and focusing on making mass transit more accessible. The recent master plan might not center on the needs of a single mother hauling 3000lb of lumber, going on a picnic/multi-activities day trip with her 10 kids that all have ADHD, but it's coherent, efficient, and does retains practical options for edge cases.

Oh my dog this is the perfect statement. 🙇🏻

Le 2022-01-28 à 17:35, ToxiK a dit :

but going to parc Jean Drapeau with young kids and maybe a cooler and other stuff for a picnic in public transit is not that easy.

(ci-dessus un court extrait du message de ToxiK)

Accordé. Mais ce n'est pas la raison d'être d'un métro.  Il vise d'autres objectifs, et en contrepartie, il doit sacrifier des éléments de confort qui sont importants pour les familles qui accompagnent de jeunes enfants.  De plus, dans le cas spécifique du parc Jean-Drapeau (PJD), ce serait physiquement impossible d'y avoir un nombre suffisant de places de stationnement pour répondre aux besoins de ces familles qui, à échelle d'une grande région métropolitaine comme Montréal, sont très nombreuses.  Je vois deux alternatives, qui ne sont pas mutuellement exclusives: 1) Offrir un service de minibus effectuant des trajets entre des sites comportant des stationnements, et le PJD.  Et 2)  Développer des sites moins centraux (par exemple au Cap Saint-Jacques) offrant des attraits qui intéressent les jeunes enfants (ceux-ci grandiront et un jour ils pourront eux aussi aller au PJD). 

Ces alternatives ne sont pas parfaites, mais elles ont le mérite d'être réalisables.   

• Like 1

Prendre le métro avec des enfants, c'est une habitude à prendre. Si tu es habitué à les packer derrière le char (easy) et de peser sur la pédale, mon ptit doigt me dit que tu vas trouver ça chiant prendre le métro. Mais si tu fais l'effort une fois "just for fun", tu vas réaliser que les enfants vont trouver ça cool prendre le métro et tu vas être surprenament relaxe. J'ai de bons souvenirs d'aller à l'Ile Notre-Dame en métro avec mes parents et on faisait du pédalo et pique-niquait sur place. On apportait la bouffe dans des sacs avec des icepacks qu'on trimbalait nous-même. Pas la grosse glacière pour faire un diner 5 étoiles sur le gazon. Et y'avait pas de chialage de personne. *Note: Le chialage est venu plus tard* 🤣

Si on veut diminuer le pourcentage de déplacements qui se font en voiture, il faut commencer par donner d'autre options avant de simplement limiter les accès aux voitures.  Le TEC vers le centre-ville aux heures de pointe fonctionne bien (à part peut-être la ligne Orange est d'avant la pandémie), alors on peut avoir besoin de moins de places de stationnement au centre-ville, ou instaurer des voies réservées à haut débit pour les TEC sur certaines rues.  Le REM va encore améliorer la situation.

Si un type de déplacement est moins praticable en TEC, ce n'est peut-être pas une bonne idée de défavoriser l'utilisation de la voiture pour ce déplacement avant d'avoir améliorer la desserte de TEC.  Une attitude de "contentez-vous de ça, c'est bien assez bon pour vous" n'est pas une attitude gagnante (mais trop souvent présente dans les monopoles publics).

La ville semble tellement pressée de faire fuir les voitures qu'elle ne semble pas se demander si les alternatives sont vraiment adéquates.  On met met la charrue devant les bœufs pis tant pis pour les familles (non, pas seulement une mère célibataire avec du stock et 10 enfants atteints d'hyperactivité comme on a représenté pour dénigrer mes propos, mais bien des familles avec juste deux ou trois enfants…).

À terme, ça fera du bien de remplacer ces déprimants stationnements, mais il faut auparavant de meilleures alternatives à la voiture.

• Thanks 1