What the US debt looks like.

jesseps

And to think, eliminating the bush tax cuts would almost single-handedly fix this mess.

Cut spending, cut spending... well you need more tax revenue too. The unfortunate reality is that you could cut *ALL* possible spending and still not balance the budget. Even if you cut all non-defense discretionary spending you'd still be only halfway to balancing the budget.

And to think, eliminating the bush tax cuts would almost single-handedly fix this mess.

Cut spending, cut spending... well you need more tax revenue too. The unfortunate reality is that you could cut *ALL* possible spending and still not balance the budget. Even if you cut all non-defense discretionary spending you'd still be only halfway to balancing the budget.

Then just cut more spending. If you spent $0 then a revenue of $0 works fine :D Let's forget the "politically possible cuts", cut every friggin thing :D For one, cut all Canadian border security apparatus, just completely. Take the equipment and send it to Mexico... Canada can do the same and everyone can save money and not have to spend an hour waiting at Champlain to go with their girlfriend to buy ugly shoes in Plattsburgh. Think outside the box!

Look at all that debt. How the hell could this have been allowed to happen?

Look at all that debt. How the hell could this have been allowed to happen?

The U.S. spent too much on tax cuts. Tax cuts are a form of spending and they're expensive ones at that.

I don't want to get into the age-old small government vs. moderate government debate, but a balanced approach to tackling the debt would undoubtedly consist of spending cuts AND tax increases. Things weren't too bad under Clinton last I recall.

As for Quebec debt, our taxes are already high, all we need to do is streamline some programs and we're all set.

The U.S. spent too much on tax cuts. Tax cuts are a form of spending and they're expensive ones at that.

I don't want to get into the age-old small government vs. moderate government debate, but a balanced approach to tackling the debt would undoubtedly consist of spending cuts AND tax increases. Things weren't too bad under Clinton last I recall.

As for Quebec debt, our taxes are already high, all we need to do is streamline some programs and we're all set.

If Quebec could take the Danish model and charge us 25% for QST and anywhere between 25-57% in income tax. Wouldn't that be lovely. That would make us the heaviest taxed people in the world. The way I see it, the government could raise taxes and increase spending. Seeing if you don't play by their rules, they will toss you in prison and take everything you own.

519 billion$ is our Canadian Debt. or 15,200$ per person.

What many seem to conveniently forget is that we have our Provincial debt to add on to this number.

Last I checked, the Québec Debt was at 235 900 000 000$ and climbing fast. Divide this number by 8,000,000 residents and you gat approx 29,500$ per person.

So if we add the federal and provincial debts together, we realise that were are in just as bad if not worse shape than our soutern neighbors.

29500 + 15,200 = 44,700$ per Quebecker... At least the Americans have th advantage of being the Only superpower left in the world...and when their economy finally does start to pick up, they will leave us in the dust (historically Québec has always lagged behind the US )

29500 + 15,200 = 44,700$ per Quebecker... At least the Americans have th advantage of being the Only superpower left in the world...and when their economy finally does start to pick up, they will leave us in the dust (historically Québec has always lagged behind the US )

Québec : 44 700$

France : 66 000$

Royaume-Uni : 171 000$

Irlande : 421 000$

Pays-Bas : 226 000$

Norvège : 113 000$

Luxembourg : 4 026 000$

Chine : 7000$

Inde : 187$

Edited by Aurélien

Québec : 44 700$

France : 66 000$

Royaume-Uni : 171 000$

Irlande : 421 000$

Plus I think Japan debt is like C$86,943.54

It is just insane, how in debt Ireland is. It seems the Irish ran out of luck.