Aller au contenu

Tour des Canadiens - 50 étages

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 4,4k
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

I was able to visit Montreal this past weekend for my first visit since the early spring and I have to say, the view of the skyline coming over the Champlain Bridge on Friday night was stunning! This and the rest of the new buildings around the Bell Centre really make a tremendous difference!

• Like 1

You know, after talking to a few of my friends who live in Toronto's glass towers (one at Maple Leaf Square South and the other at Success Tower) I have a bit of a different view of this tower's prefab construction. Both complain of minor water infiltration, balcony's being inaccessible due to cracked / ill-fitting glass, condensation, an extreme cold zone near the glazing in winter, etc. etc.

While some of this may be due to a lack of quality construction (the Montreal towers surely won't be immune to this), the fact of the matter is that glass curtain walls in condo towers are rarely given the features necessary to cope with residential environments due to cost cutting. While they may look modern, I have a feeling that the folks who bought in TDC may, in the long term, be better off than those buying in Icone and Avenue.

You are damn right glass walls are bad. Heard a lot of horrors stories about glass wall in Vancouver

You know, after talking to a few of my friends who live in Toronto's glass towers (one at Maple Leaf Square South and the other at Success Tower) I have a bit of a different view of this tower's prefab construction. Both complain of minor water infiltration, balcony's being inaccessible due to cracked / ill-fitting glass, condensation, an extreme cold zone near the glazing in winter, etc. etc.

While some of this may be due to a lack of quality construction (the Montreal towers surely won't be immune to this), the fact of the matter is that glass curtain walls in condo towers are rarely given the features necessary to cope with residential environments due to cost cutting. While they may look modern, I have a feeling that the folks who bought in TDC may, in the long term, be better off than those buying in Icone and Avenue.

^ This is a major problem in both Toronto and Vancouver - and more so in Vancouver because of wind driven rain that has not been studied a lot. CMHC (Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation) commissioned a study, one of their conclusion is that new exterior wall systems were being used without knowing how they perform in local climates. There were problems with junction details (balcony to exterior wall, glass to wall,) where construction workers were not trained to properly install corners and seal it properly, or details were not properly scaled by the architects (the drawings were too small.)

I would agree, SKYMTL - curtain wall systems in hi-rises (i.e.: Icone) are driven by aesthetics parameters than performance and durability parameters. It is a shame really - especially within our 21st century context.

More info on the Vancouver Condo Crisis: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_condo_crisis