A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be very liberal, and among other liberal ideals, was very much in favor of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies and she barely has a 2.0 GPA. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because

she's too hung over."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, "That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the conservative side of the fence."

:rotfl::neenerneener::applause::thumbsup:jester.gif

I once talked to a similar kind of girl at Concordia, she was eating some kind of rabbit food in a tupperware, I couldn't identify what was in it, but I did see that I didn't want any of it. I had instead a Big Mac and fried and a coke. Evil corporations! We ended up talking about such things, I mentioned the McDo factor to say the fact that no two countries that have McDonald's restaurants have gone to war, and some things like Big Mac Index and the like, I could hear the brain frying but she wasn't mad at me or anything and was interested. Maybe 'cause I'm handsome though.

Personnellement, je trouve qu'elle est drôle, mais quand on y pense... la morale est très très simpliste !

À l'université, on parle d'une cote, pas d'argent. La cote, c'est ta formation, et si on pouvait redistribuer des cotes pour les égaliser, il y aurait des gens qui seraient formés pour quelque chose dans quoi ils ne sont pas assez compétents pour l'être !

D'autre part, j'ai vraiment de la difficulté à croire qu'une personne travaillant à temps plein et gagnant 30 000$ par année travaille nécessairement moins fort/souvent que le Westmontais qui gagne 200 000$ par année, alors qu'ici, on parle d'une fille qui ne fout rien et d'une autre qui travaille beaucoup beaucoup.

L'art de faire de mauvaises comparaisons...

Personnellement, je trouve qu'elle est drôle, mais quand on y pense... la morale est très très simpliste !

À l'université, on parle d'une cote, pas d'argent. La cote, c'est ta formation, et si on pouvait redistribuer des cotes pour les égaliser, il y aurait des gens qui seraient formés pour quelque chose dans quoi ils ne sont pas assez compétents pour l'être !

D'autre part, j'ai vraiment de la difficulté à croire qu'une personne travaillant à temps plein et gagnant 30 000$ par année travaille nécessairement moins fort/souvent que le Westmontais qui gagne 200 000$ par année, alors qu'ici, on parle d'une fille qui ne fout rien et d'une autre qui travaille beaucoup beaucoup.

L'art de faire de mauvaises comparaisons...

Ben la, quand le personne a 30 k$ travaille a temps plein chez Wal Mart puis le Westmontais qui est un chirurgien cardiaque? L'argent ne pousse pas sur les arbres...

its a cute story but it just shows how one can easily forget the difference between rewarding lazy work and providing equal

opportunity for all

A young woman was about to finish her first year of college. Like not so many others her age, she considered herself to be very conservative, and among other conservative ideals, was very much in favor of lower taxes to support less government programs, in other words keep the wealth for herself.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch liberal, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harbored an evil, communist desire to redistribute everything he has to others.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to lower taxes on the rich and the need for less government programs.

The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 4.0 GPA, and let him know that it wasn't that tough to maintain, since she naturally had it easy in school and didn't need to study that much to suceed, which left her considerable time to go out and party like other people she knew. She has time for a boyfriend, but didn't really have many college friends because she isn't that sociable.

Her father listened and then asked, "How is your friend Audrey doing?"

She replied, "Audrey is barely getting by. She tries hard, but she always had problems pulling it off at school and has a 2.0 GPA. She has about no friends except for me; college for her is a horrible experience. Her parents always treated her like she was worth nothing. To add to that, her family is very poor, so she has to work double time at her minimum wage job to get even, which keeps her from studying as much as she would like to. Sometimes, she even has to miss classes just to be able to pay for them, which is kind of ironic."

Her wise father asked his daughter, "Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to deduct 1.0 off your GPA and give it to your friend who only has a 2.0. That way you will both have a 3.0 GPA and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of GPA."

The daughter, visibly interested by her father's suggestion, calmly responded, "That's a peculiar idea, but I kind of like it. I've worked for my grades, but I know Audrey deserves more than what she has. I know that not everybody has my luck, so why shouldn't I give back a bit of it?"

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, "Welcome to the liberal side of the fence."

lolololol!

Edited by JFrosty

Ben la, quand le personne a 30 k$ travaille a temps plein chez Wal Mart puis le Westmontais qui est un chirurgien cardiaque? L'argent ne pousse pas sur les arbres...

Si tu travailles à temps plein chez Wal-Mart, tu ne fais même pas 30 000$ par année. Et tu ne travailles pas moins que le Big Boss qui fait le quadruple.

Si tu travailles à temps plein chez Wal-Mart, tu ne fais même pas 30 000$ par année. Et tu ne travailles pas moins que le Big Boss qui fait le quadruple.

Le big boss est-il le gérant du magasin ou un executive? Le gérant du magasin gagnerais environ 70-80K$ (brute) +bonus de performance. Les gérants des départements gagnent envrion 30-40K.

Travaillant pour le salaire minimum, tu gagnerais environ 20K$ par année (brute). Je crois que la grande majorité des employés de Wal-Mart travaillent pour le salaire minimum.

J'ai travaillé à un épicerie pendant mon adolescence, donc je sais très bien que la paie est assez bas. Mais c'était assez pour moi puisque je n'avait pas beaucoup de dépenses.

I was a little pissed when they raised the minimum wage though, because I had earned a higher rate of pay through hours of work, while the government raised the earnings of brand new employees up to the same level I earned. This happened multiple times. Good experience though, taught me the meaning of work. Some of the other proudly unionized employees seemed to be able to sniff out that I was a conservative though, without me ever discussing politics. I wonder how they knew? I must have given off a vibe.