Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

I just saw this story online, of all places it was on Global Toronto and Fox News Radio. No one is covering the story in Montreal.

Police investigate death threats, racist Tweets of McGill student

Montreal police are investigating after a 21-year-old McGill University student posted threats and other controversial messages to his Twitter page.

Haaris Khan made the threats last week. They included threatening to shoot a roomful of students at a campus film screening at the Leacock Building.

He allegedly posted, “I want to shoot everyone in this room,”.

Also during the film screening, others Tweets said, “I should have brought an M-16,” and “My blood is boiling…Never been this angry.”

He also made a number of anti-Jewish comments.

About 20 students attended the event, which was organized by the Conservative McGill Club.

On Tuesday, Global News spoke with Alexandre Meterissian, a member of the Conservative McGill group, who first alerted police about the violent messages.

“I found it scary, scary because he was not just attacking hundreds or thousands of students, he was attacking a very select few students,” he said.

“There’s a line you can’t cross, and when you cross it, you should be reprimanded,” he noted.

Meterissian added he’s disappointed McGill officials have not alerted students about this incident.

McGill University did not comment on the incident.

Social media expert Elizabeth Meyer says young people fail to realize anything written on sites like Facebook or Twitter is considered public domain.

She added, ”The youth using the Internet feel too comfortable, they feel it’s their private living room, they are not aware of the global reach of what they post online“.

(Courtesy of Global Toronto)

I do hope the student gets expelled and is never allowed to study at any university again. Plus what does he expect going to a conservative club meeting? It would be like me going to Nazi rally and dealing with all the anti-semitism, but I wouldn't be an idiot tweeting what he tweeted online.

Modifié par jesseps
  • Like 1

I Found My Thrill Blowing Up McGill

By Mike Adams

3/22/2011

The irony is never ending in higher education these days. College administrators are so steeped in the ideology of political correctness that they fail to miss an opportunity to help make their opponents’ argument for them. Such was the case after a Jihadist recently Tweeted death threats at a campus screening of Indoctrinate-U. Students at McGill University in Montreal are outraged at the politically correct response of Morton J. Mendelson - the Deputy Provost of Student Life & Learning at McGill. And they should be outraged by his cowardice.

For those who aren’t aware, Indoctrinate-U. is a documentary by my old friend Evan Coyne Maloney. The film exposes the liberal bias and politically correct nature of universities. During its showing, a Muslim student in the audience produced a series of violent messages on Twitter. Here are some examples:

“I should have brought an M16.”

“I’m watching a Zionist/Conservative propaganda film at a secret Zionist convention, in case anyone’s confused.”

“This experience has hardened me into a soldier for freedom and truth. These savages will not rule me. They will not win.”

“My blood is boiling. I want to shoot everyone in this room.”

Ok f---k it, I’m going to destroy the Jew-WASP consortium.”

(Note to Media: I have screen shots of all of these Tweets if anyone is interested).

In typical Muslim Jihadist fashion, Haaris Khan, the author of the Jihadist Tweets is retreating from his statements. He has since apologized and said that his Tweets were “taken out of context.” He says he owns no weapons and has never fired a gun. He also said his sister-in-law is Jewish. He stopped short of saying that when he needs a good doctor he always looks for one with a Jewish name.

Earlier in the year, Haaris Khan published a bizarre opinion piece condemning a newly founded student newspaper with conservative leanings called the Prince Arthur Herald. Quite naturally, he published the condemnation in the traditionally liberal leaning McGill Daily. In the piece, he makes it clear that he supported the paper when it was initially proposed. But, then, after reading a few issues he withdrew that support because the paper had proven to be “pro-Israel.”

In the piece, he lectures the conservative paper saying “Being provocative is one thing – being thuggish is another.” He goes on to say that journalists need to “stick to principles of fairness, justice, responsibility, and prudence.”

Obviously, Kahn is an imprudent and irresponsible thug incapable of judging his own behavior objectively. How about the university administration’s capacity for objectivity? What kind of judgment do they make of Haaris Kahn after his violent anti-Semitic campus outburst? Judge for yourself after reading the response of Deputy Provost Mendelson: “Given the article in this week’s Tribune and other media reports about a McGill student’s posts to Twitter that contained disturbing and threatening messages, I want to reassure the McGill community that the University takes such incidents extremely seriously.

In all such cases, we report the incident to Montreal police, who investigate and determine whether further action is needed. In addition, the University quickly refers the matter to the appropriate disciplinary officer, who determines if a student needs to be excluded from campus in order to protect others and who can also pursue disciplinary action. In addition, we have a threat-assessment team that reviews such cases in a timely fashion.

We are aware that some who learned of the messages were very concerned about their safety, and understandably so. We have tried to reassure them. There have been suggestions that the University should have issued a broader alert to the community about the messages. But we must avoid causing needless panic or delivering ‘false alarms’ that could lead to complacency in the event of real threats in the future.

McGill took a number of actions in this case, many of them behind the scenes – not simply to satisfy the demands of Quebec’s privacy law, but because we want some of our responses to remain confidential to shield them from the eyes of those who could cause harm.

Please rest assured: If the tweeted messages were deemed to pose a real threat, we would have taken very different action.

What we have ended up dealing with is a downside of social media – the ability of an individual to disseminate inappropriate or threatening messages to a global audience with the click of a mouse or a send button. All members of our community should be responsible in using the Internet and social media. There can be serious consequences for irresponsible use.

For information on McGill’s procedures about how to deal with violent, threatening or worrisome student behavior, please visit http://www.mcgill.ca/deanofstudents/intervention/."

At the end of the investigation, Mendelson said this to the Canadian media, “We have come to the conclusion that the messages don’t constitute a threat to the community”. No doubt, this tepid and disingenuous response was motivated by a desire to protect Muslims as a group from “unfair” stereotyping. In other words, the university wished to advance the view that these remarks were motivated by individual, not group, pathology. Ironically, they do so by treating Kahn as a member of a protected group, rather than an individual.

The conservatives and libertarians who sponsored the showing of Indoctrinate U. could not have choreographed this better. In the end, they have shown – on film and in reality – that liberal bias and political correctness rule the day in the postmodern era of higher education.

Mike Adams is a criminology professor at the University of North Carolina Wilmington and author of Feminists Say the Darndest Things: A Politically Incorrect Professor Confronts "Womyn" On Campus.

http://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2011/03/22/i_found_my_thrill_blowing_up_mcgill/page/2

Wow, I haven't heard about this!

This is very serious news. I bet this guy is a terrorist sympathizer. My message for him is to get the hell out of this country. We don't want him or his kind here.

I do hope the student gets expelled and is never allowed to study at any university again.

Franchement, je te trouve pas mal gentil. Moi je l'enverrais en plein coeur d'un bastion de Kadhafi avec le mandat de l'éliminé. On lui implémenterait une puce pour voir s'il quitterait le pays, au cas.

Et comme arme, on lui donnerait ceci http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc-fXHTSt8

t'aime ça la violence pi la mort, amuse toi ! :)

• Like 1

I don't think he was serious. I do agree he should be disciplined in some way though. Scary death threats should not be tolerated in any context.

From: http://www.mcgilltribune.com/opinion/an-apology-1.2117696

The McGill Tribune

An apology

By Haaris Khan

My name is Haaris Khan. I am not an anti-Semite. I am not a terrorist. I am not a threat to my fellow students on campus. I can be an idiot sometimes, though. I've learned that using my voice in a public forum comes with great responsibility. Politics can be nasty and human emotion can lead to colossal errors. In my case, I can only say that I erred in such a way. For that I am very sorry. My comments were totally inappropriate and I would never harm my fellow students. I have never been a violent person and I have never had any violent altercations in my life. I came to McGill University wanting to contribute, not destroy.

My comments on Twitter last week have caused quite a bit of concern for some students on campus, McGill security services, school administration, and the police. I recognize the gravity of the situation considering the nature of my tweets, which were meant in jest. After reflecting on my comments, I can only say that I truly regret saying them and that it was a very poor decision.

One question that seems to come up a lot is why I reacted the way I did to the documentary screening hosted by Conservative McGill and Libertarian McGill. Really, it had little to do with the movie itself and more to do with the negative attitude I had going into the event, my pre-existing ideological differences with those at the event, and the fact that I wasn't in the right state of mind at the time.

I am anti-Zionist. The Israel-Palestine conflict is a very sensitive subject and it's easy to become worked up about it if you care passionately about the issue. I also realize that anti-Zionism tends to go hand in hand with anti-Semitism because of the complex relationship between the Jewish identity and Israel. This creates a fine line when it comes to criticizing Israel and Zionism. I do not harbour any hatred towards Jewish people. My Jewish sister-in-law, whom I love very dearly, and my niece who is Jewish by tradition are both people that are close to my heart and their cultural or religious backgrounds have nothing to do with how I see them.

I think that Jewish culture is colourful and its history is inspirational. My objection to the policies of the state of Israel and the treatment of the Palestinians are purely political and in no way reflect how I view Jewish people.

I apologize to those who were at the screening of Indoctrinate U and any other people who were offended or felt threatened by my tweets. It was never my intention to be a divisive or antagonistic figure at McGill. I have strong opinions and a strong passion for justice. My goal now is to channel that into a more responsible discourse.

“My blood is boiling. I want to shoot everyone in this room.”

Ok f---k it, I’m going to destroy the Jew-WASP consortium.”

How do you even say that in jest? And LOL "I love Jews except DAMN THEM JEWS TO HELL!!!!!" :rotfl:

Franchement, je te trouve pas mal gentil. Moi je l'enverrais en plein coeur d'un bastion de Kadhafi avec le mandat de l'éliminé. On lui implémenterait une puce pour voir s'il quitterait le pays, au cas.

Et comme arme, on lui donnerait ceci http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZc-fXHTSt8

t'aime ça la violence pi la mort, amuse toi ! :)

Well hell you could almost send me out to take care of Gaddafi I think it would be fun. Y'all might laugh, but when I'm sitting on my throne with 10 billion dollars a year of oil money coming into my bank account, who would laugh then :rotfl: I loved that movie too especially the theme song... terrorists your dreams are through / so now you have to answer to / America, fuck yeah! / so lick my butt and suck on my balls :rotfl:

Modifié par Cyrus

The fact that McGill officials did nothing about it smells of double standard.

Remember when those radical Muslims stopped Ann Coulter from speaking at University of Ottawa last year? Remember how the University of Ottawa told Coulter that she should essentially keep her real opinions to herself when she was there? Or Benjamin Nethanyahu's speech being canceled at Concordia 5-10 years ago due to a humongous anti-Semitic mob that was breaking things and intimidating people?

Now some radical Muslim student makes death threats, and shit all is done about it. Not one peep. I have lost a LOT of respect for McGill. This jihadi should be kicked out of McGill and deported back to wherever the hell it is he came from.

This country's universities will be as bad for Jihadism as Britain's are in 10 years. Just watch.

Modifié par MTLskyline

Franchement, je te trouve pas mal gentil.

I am sort of a pacifist online :relieved:

What I find amusing, if someone gets caught plagiarizing and that person academic life is over. Yet if someone tweets about wanting to kill people in a room and its fine :confused:

Well there is the right to freedom of speech, and furthermore it doesn't seem relevant to the University, though it is a little bit off in the violent ranting side... the ranting is not illegal, only the killing is which appears to not have been intended.

Stupidity at UOttawa shouldn't be relevant, remember, after all, McGill let the movie be shown right :)

This country's universities will be as bad for Jihadism as Britain's are in 10 years. Just watch.

Ouch! I hope not. Concordia might be close to it though, freaking Palestine Palestine Palestine all the friggin time. I got a little mad the other day in one of the workshops someone previous had drew such flag on the whiteboard, I was like "hey, we are not Poli Sci idiots this is supposed to be a bullshit free zone!" :D

Modifié par Cyrus

I'm with MTLskyline on this one.

This individual does not belong here. The racism is bad enough, but these kinds of threats are serious and must be taken seriously. If he's joking, well, then he still crossed a line. You simply don't make those kinds of jokes.