Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Higher speeds vs risk is questionable and certainly not the linear relationship that it is often portrayed. I suggest reading the landmark study of Solomon, 1964 on the subject... and reaction time seems silly, there is plenty of reaction time at higher speeds... and for cars without lights, what if the roadway is illuminated? :P Even without illumination it should be a non-issue as you have your own headlights and are not driving faster than you can see (never a good idea).

In Portugal, well, I mean that is Portugal you know how they drive out there better than I do :rotfl:

example:

Accidents_on_main_rural_highways_related_to_speed_David_Solomon.jpg

^^ the Solomon study was done on 2 lane primary highways of the era, Cirillo was on Interstate freeways. Notice how the lowest accident risk in the Cirillo study is people going roughly 30 km/h more than the average speed...

But again, nowhere am I saying to have crazy driving. I am only arguing for safe driving practice to be legal...

Modifié par Cyrus

• Réponses 48
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

J'ai fait l'autobahn il y a longtemps alors que j'étais très très jeune. Dans une Citroen 3 cylindres de location.

Je ne me suis pas senti en danger une seule seconde.

Premièrement, parce que malgré qu'il n'y ait aucune loi pour limiter la vitesse sur cette autoroute, la majorité des Allemands sont très disciplinés et roulent 120 km/h. Même que la limite de vitesse sur l'autobahn donne une limite de vitesse minimale, mais pas maximale !

Deuxièmement, parce que l'autoroute est construite pour ça. Lorsqu'une voiture nous dépassait dans la voie de gauche, c'était très bien fait.

Le problème, c'est qu'au Québec, il n'y a pas d'autobahn. Ni sur la 20, ni sur la 10, ni sur la 55, ni sur Ville-Marie. Si tu te fais pogner au-dessus des limites de vitesse, c'est tant pis pour toi.

I think we're actually fairly close to being on the same page.. we both agree reckless driving is bad and we both agree that perhaps speed limits in certain areas could be increased or at least adjusted so that it's more logical.

The only area we disagree is concerning 160km/h and it being safe or not. I think we both agree it depends on context. If you're doing 160km/h on the A-15/A-20 approaching Turcot from the Champlain Bridge, i'll say that's reckless because it's a 2-lane narrow stretch of road with lots of curves and a veritable shit-ton of potholes. In this instance: reckless and dumb. It's reckless if only for your own car's structural integrity (lol). If you do 160km/h in the Nevada desert, that's.. more reasonable. But how many stretches of road do we have like that? Honestly with the pot holes we have these days, I'm scared going down local streets at 50km/h. It's a real sport.

If you do 160km/h in the Nevada desert, that's.. more reasonable. But how many stretches of road do we have like that? Honestly with the pot holes we have these days, I'm scared going down local streets at 50km/h. It's a real sport.

Entre Drummondville et Sherbrooke (plus près de Drummond), avec l'autoroute 55 finie, il y a un looonng loooonnng bout d'autoroute d'environ 15km droit, plat, et à perte de vue.

L'autoroute 20 aussi est par endroits tellement plate et droite.

Mais de ces autoroutes, combien sont assez n bon état pour que ce soit sécuritaire? En Allemagne, faire de l'autobahn en Citroen 1990 3 cylindres avec la pédale dans le fond à 145 km/h est plus smooth que de faire du 115 km/h sur nos bonnes vieilles autoroutes québécoises.

Aussitôt qu'il y a une craque sur l'autobahn, on refait une partie de l'autoroute au complet. On ne fait pas que colmater la fissure...

L'asphalte de l'autobahn est beaucoup plus rugueuse aussi, l'asphalte est moins chère que la nôtre car considérée comme plus cheap, mais elle colle beaucoup mieux. C'est un mélange de cailloux et d'asphalte... et l'asphalte elle-même est du double l'épaisseur de l'asphalte aux États.

[...]l'asphalte est moins chère que la nôtre car considérée comme plus cheap, mais elle colle beaucoup mieux. C'est un mélange de cailloux et d'asphalte... et l'asphalte elle-même est du double l'épaisseur de l'asphalte aux États.

Wtf are you talkin' about?

I think we're actually fairly close to being on the same page.. we both agree reckless driving is bad and we both agree that perhaps speed limits in certain areas could be increased or at least adjusted so that it's more logical.

The only area we disagree is concerning 160km/h and it being safe or not. I think we both agree it depends on context. If you're doing 160km/h on the A-15/A-20 approaching Turcot from the Champlain Bridge, i'll say that's reckless because it's a 2-lane narrow stretch of road with lots of curves and a veritable shit-ton of potholes. In this instance: reckless and dumb. It's reckless if only for your own car's structural integrity (lol). If you do 160km/h in the Nevada desert, that's.. more reasonable. But how many stretches of road do we have like that? Honestly with the pot holes we have these days, I'm scared going down local streets at 50km/h. It's a real sport.

My basic point is that in general speed limits in rural areas, especially on freeways, aren't giving useful information to the driver, and the enforement is penalzing people driving safely and rarely dangerously. 240 on the Ville-Marie at pretty much any time is insane. Worthy of 42 demerit points, no way. 15 maybe. That guy was driving basically a stolen vehicle though so he should get raped by Bubba anyhow. Whereas, when its raining heavily, or the road is not plowed for snow, how many police are there? none unless an accident has happened.

160 between Turcot and Champlain is nuts sure, but 160 past the saint-siboire exit on the 20, come on :P

I think that in general drivers have sufficient common sense and skill to choose their speed, a reasonable speed and to drive safely at it, which they seem to do anyway (nobody drives 100 km/h on the autoroute. They drive 120 but then say they meet the "limit" come on...) etc.

Potholes sure, but if you hit a pothole at even 260 km/h, or have a blowout of your tire at 260 km/h, so what? Hold the wheel and guide the car safely to a stop if the tire is compromised and if not keep going. It isn't "instant death" in any way unless you do something really stupid (slam on the brake? Jerk the wheel?)

It reminds me of that Firestone / ford Exploder debacle. A big-name car magazine did a test with an Explorer, that was rigged to dump all the air in the tire immediately, at random times, as a driver went around a racetrack. Not once was there a rollover or other issue. Yet, "bad" drivers kept flipping their Explorers all the time when the Firestone tires shedded their tread from overheating / underinflation.

Local streets tend to be badly maintained anyway, I saw some potholes at least 10 inches deep on Clark today. and there are big potholes on the Turcot like on 20-east -> 720 east, left lane, it is like the Moon! I am scared to break my car. But still, I hit that crap at 90 when the limit is 70... and I am slower than average through that area.

For desert areas, Quebec has them all over the friggin place, but sure, wait until summer when the frost heaves go down. Lots of rural highways where you can see 200 m on either side a farmer's field and visibility of 5 km or more ahead of you, and nobody is ever there. The lowlands of the saint-lawrence are pretty flat and the roads relatively straight. If there is nobody there, there is really nobody there :P

Nevada didn't have a speed limit until it was forced on them by that bastard Nixon in 1974. Quebec didn't have one until 1956. and note, the autoroute speed limit in Quebec was 70 mph (112 km/h) until Trudeau and the NDP forced them down to 60 mph (96 km/h) in '74. Everywhere else in Canada today, aside from Ontario, they have speed limits 110, even with roads that are of a lower design standard than Quebec (like Saskatchewan, divided highways with regular intersections...)

Modifié par Cyrus

Je ne parle pas d'un fuck, je parle de l'asphalte utilisée pour paver l'autobahn. Elle est 2x plus rugueuse que celle utilisée aux États-Unis, et elle est moins chère.

Je veux pas m'obstiner, mais tu sais que plus de 5000 types d'enrobés différents ont été utilisés sur le réseau autoroutier des États-Unis?