Aller au contenu

L'Aragon Queen Mary - 4 étages

MTLskyline

Messages recommendés

La bâtisse actuelle ne sera pas une perte du tout

5283794782_c471005b32_z.jpg

Pour ce qui est des commerces, ce n'est pas pire que si le propriétaire de l'immeuble leur disait qu'il ne renouvellait pas leur bails afin de faire place a n'importe quel autre commerce plus rentable pour lui.

En plus, c'est de la densification à proximité d'un métro.

It's not that bad!

Only thing I hate is the new Pharmaprix. Those are getting out of control in Montreal. It seems they are on their way to destroy Jean-Coutu and other small pharmacies. Well, who can blame them, they have deep pockets and are acting as true capitalists.

Just like Jean Coutu did many years ago when he introduced the concept of a shop and pharmacy bundled together, it "killed" the independent pharmacies that existed back then (and probably some other form of small one purpose stores as well)

• Réponses 33
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

If the shops were made offers to relocate in the new building and continue operating there i'd be all for it. Then we'd have the best of both worlds: New building with higher density while preserving a vibrant street life including terrasses and specialty shops (versus a bland Pharmaprix)

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the plan, so i must maintain my opposition. Just not worth it for 2 floors.

If the shops were made offers to relocate in the new building and continue operating there i'd be all for it. Then we'd have the best of both worlds: New building with higher density while preserving a vibrant street life including terrasses and specialty shops (versus a bland Pharmaprix)

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be the plan, so i must maintain my opposition. Just not worth it for 2 floors.

Maintain your disapointment, I guess is what you meant, right? None of us have a right to "oppose" that project, no matter how many signatures any petition gets. It's a private property. We'll have to learn to understand and love private property because that's what makes a city grow.

I'm also disapointed that they are not going to build something that is nice and taller on that site. But, as Malek wrote; if there's demand for those little restaurants, they will find a way to provide supply somewhere close by. And heck, why didn't they rent in the new place or just buy the building outright?

Why is it that "the collective" feels that they should be able to decide what gets built where but not front the costs of doing so is beyond me.

Did the original building have any recognized historical/architectural significance that would warrant the governments to buy it and protect it? No. Is the new building going against any pre-existing city rules? No. The rest is best left to free-markets.

Je penses pas qu'il y un manque de locaux vides sur cette rue... ils se relocaliseront ailleurs. Le proprio aurait pu terminer leur contrat pour construire que des condos par exemple avec rien au rdc, ou un salon funéraire (ok je déconnes, mais c'est un business en boom comme les pharamcies).

Maintain your disapointment, I guess is what you meant, right? None of us have a right to "oppose" that project, no matter how many signatures any petition gets. It's a private property. We'll have to learn to understand and love private property because that's what makes a city grow.

I'm also disapointed that they are not going to build something that is nice and taller on that site. But, as Malek wrote; if there's demand for those little restaurants, they will find a way to provide supply somewhere close by. And heck, why didn't they rent in the new place or just buy the building outright?

Why is it that "the collective" feels that they should be able to decide what gets built where but not front the costs of doing so is beyond me.

Did the original building have any recognized historical/architectural significance that would warrant the governments to buy it and protect it? No. Is the new building going against any pre-existing city rules? No. The rest is best left to free-markets.

op·pose/əˈpōz/Verb

1. Disapprove of

Oppose carries many meanings and connotations, JCC, and in this instance, it is one of disapproval, given the obvious fact that none of us can do much beyond petition to developer to reconsider.

This disapproval stems from what I believe to be a loss of quality of life due to the destruction of street activity. This charming street life will yield to a boring and banal pharmacy.

Legally this business has every right to do what it's doing, nobody is contesting that. "the collective" here is not trying to "decide" what happens, the "collective" here is voicing its disapproval and concerns, something it has every right to do. What we're saying is that it's a shitty decision to build a boring 4-storey building with an even more boring pharmacy at the ground level. Next to a metro, this building should have 15 storeys and exciting things going on at ground level (such as unique retail, nightlife, terrasses, cultural facilities, etc.)

If you ask me, zoning ought to be changed for every single lot in a 300m radius surrounding a metro station. No new construction ought to be less than 15 storeys tall next to a metro, with possible exceptions of stations located in historical areas (plateau etc)

Just because i'm a staunch supporter of 99% of the projects on this site doesn't mean that the remaining 1% gets a free pass.

Last I checked, this forum is for discussing projects, is it not? Well that's what we're doing.

Modifié par Cataclaw

If you ask me, zoning ought to be changed for every single lot in a 300m radius surrounding a metro station. No new construction ought to be less than 15 storeys tall next to a metro, with possible exceptions of stations located in historical areas (plateau etc)

I fully agree with that!

Oui évidemment!! 300 mètres c'est trop proche, au moins un 500m... et y a quoi d'historique sur le plateau? lol

op·pose/əˈpōz/Verb

1. Disapprove of

Oppose carries many meanings and connotations, JCC, and in this instance, it is one of disapproval, given the obvious fact that none of us can do much beyond petition to developer to reconsider.

:-) I know what oppose and disapprove mean. It is still the same meaning; it assumes a recognized and legetimate position of power to make the call. Which none of us have in this specific contract's case. Or, I should say, it is power we specifically do NOT have.

The petition should target changing the city rules as they are the ones underlying the private contracts that were taken.

As you are, as a voter and a taxpayer, a stakeholder (not an owner) in the city's development, you can influence and can approve/disapprove of the citie's decisions, including it's zoning rules. I think it is your right AND your responsibility.

I am merely saying that the course of action (and the petition) is wrongly targeted and not condusive to better city planning. Any activity that would result in the potential reversal of a private contract that was legal to start from, against the will of the participants is wrong. You can use this case as an evidence of the lack of proper zoning rules and lobby to have them changed. That would be, IMHO, the right course of action.

Last I checked, this forum is for discussing projects, is it not? Well that's what we're doing.

Of course we can all discuss; that wasn't the point. Everyone can have opinions and express them. Not everyone can approve/disapprove in all situations.

But I didn't want to create a big fuss with that, I am just expressing my point of view, I'm not disapproving yours, which I can't. ;-)

Oui évidemment!! 300 mètres c'est trop proche, au moins un 500m... et y a quoi d'historique sur le plateau? lol

LOL! You're right! Raze it all and develop kilometers of parking! On pourrait alors appeler le quartier Laval-Sur-L'Île!

15 storeys

Yuck!

I think there are many neighbourhoods with metro stations, this being one of them, where a 15 story building would stick out like a soar thumb. A perfect but extreme example is the disgusting looking 25ish story building a few blocks away corner Earnscliffe. High-rises have their places, but not in a neighbourhood like that.