Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Philips Square has lost a lot of its importance over the years. True it was a real transit hub in the first part of the XXth century but now its just "one of those squares" with nothing really special about it beside cheap restos and some lost homeless people. They should redo the square completely and cut those ugly trees that overcrowd the space. Do it like a Quartier International modern square!! Then it would have an impact.

• Réponses 434
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

You don't cut trees in a square : you plant more !!

First, it is too narrow. It should be widened on the east end : the street is too large anyway.

Pour une fois que je suis d'accord a ce qu'une rue soit moins large.

C'est le vrai bordel ce coin là, trop large pour rien, ça donne de la place en masse aux opportunistes pour essayer de couper la file d'autos.:silly:

Take a closer look at the Square. There aren't that many trees (about a dozen by my count). The square could be extended, especially east (as mentioned by others). That whole side is a waste of space, with those planter boxes and extra wide street/parking area. Phillips Square is not that small. The large base of the statue, large asphalt walkways and the small street market area take up most of the space. It's like there's too much going on in this square that quickly fills up with people at almost any time of day. It could be rearranged relatively easily...

True, the square could be extended on the east side. But please, NO modernization of it. It can be re-furbished or freshened up but I am not a fan of taking our historic squares and giving them a comtempo look. They should be respectful of period. In fact, what actually looks modern and fresh today is going with period look. It is all in the quality of the materials. The square is covered in hideous reno-depot pave-uni bricks from the 1980's. It should be paved in a more elegant stone.

The square is covered in hideous reno-depot pave-uni bricks from the 1980's. It should be paved in a more elegant stone.

I agree with you, but those Réno-Dépôt pave uni-blocks cost 1/4 of the price of real stone. THe City is trying to save tax payers some money...and to be honest, how important is it that they use these types of blocks instead of the expensive kind? Honestly?

I think it's pretty important. You don't cut corners with historic spaces like that. It sends the message that our public squares aren't important enough. The look of the city should be a point of pride.

Normally i'd agree, but not when it comes to the paving stones. Nobody notices them, and as long as the stuff you put down lasta a long time, it'll do fine. I'd rather see them spend more money on the landscaping (gras, trees, shrubs) as well as garden ornaments (lamp posts, benches, statues) than on the paving stones.

If you can find something that looks good, and it only ocsts you 1/2 or 1/3 the price, i say go for it!

• 1 mois plus tard...