Pour ou contre la légalisation du cannabis?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Pour ou contre la légalisation du cannabis?

• Oui, je suis pour.
    • Non, je suis contre.

Cannabis/Marijuana/Pot: pour ou contre la légalisation?

Avec le débat en Californie concernant Prop 19 qui légaliserait le pot, je trouve que ça serait interessant de faire un petit sondage sur le sujet.

Libre à vous d'expliquer votre choix de vote dans le fil.

-----

My personal opinion:

Pot is unhealthy and smoking it is unwise. However... the same can be said about having a pint of beer, yet alcohol is legal. I believe that alcohol is potentially more dangerous and destructive. If alcohol is legal, then it only follows that a less destructive product should be legal for adults 18+, taxed and regulated. I'm in favor of legalization. It's worth noting however that Pot is in fact unhealthy. Just because you don't notice the effects like alcohol doesn't mean there aren't consequences. When consumed daily for extended periods of time (years), Marijuana will have a damaging effect on the brain by inhibiting neurotransmitter function, essentially slowing down your cognitive ability. In other words, if you're a hardcore pot addict, your brain will turn to shit. But again, if you're a serious alcohol addict, your liver will turn to shit too, so... what's the difference?

Edited by Cataclaw

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a damaging product, without a doubt. I'm also strongly anti-pot myself, having seen a number of friends ruin their lives due to substance abuse. I'm with you 100% on that MTLskyline. Some people believe Pot is harmless because the damaging effects occur gradually and slowly in the brain, whereas alcohol manifests its destructiveness in a more dramatic way (ex: drunk driving) But it is, in fact, quite harmful over the long term.

However, I believe in having the liberty to make that decision yourself. Just like with cigarettes (equally damaging) and alcohol (also destructive and addictive) you should be free to choose. Under legalization, it should still be illegal for minors of course.

I'm strongly opposed to legalization. I personally know a lot of people who have had their lives ruined by this so-called "harmless drug".

People can ruin their lives with alcool too. Should alcool be illegal too.

Many guys got their lives ruined because of girls (and vice versa). Should girls be illegal too?

I say BRING IT ON! No sin tax either, please... and meanwhile, liberalize liquor sales and privatise the SAQ (after all, the SAQ wants to play with private players in Alberta so it's only fair...). $40+ for whiskey? It's too much!

It is particularly interesting in the case of marijuana and health effects, the body of evidence is slim because of these unnecessary prohibitions... but it certainly doesn't seem worse than tobacco, which is delicious but unhealthy.

It is a damaging product, without a doubt. I'm also strongly anti-pot myself, having seen a number of friends ruin their lives due to substance abuse. I'm with you 100% on that MTLskyline. Some people believe Pot is harmless because the damaging effects occur gradually and slowly in the brain, whereas alcohol manifests its destructiveness in a more dramatic way (ex: drunk driving) But it is, in fact, quite harmful over the long term.

However, I believe in having the liberty to make that decision yourself. Just like with cigarettes (equally damaging) and alcohol (also destructive and addictive) you should be free to choose. Under legalization, it should still be illegal for minors of course.

Really? I mean Tommy Chong doesn't actually sound so stoned normally :)

It is also very important to note "what is seen and that which is not seen"... you have all the criminal elements that are created by the prohibition, and all the people who are "at-risk" are already potheads anyway. The effects are to raise marijuana prices which is bad for consumers, bring violence to communities which is bad (heck look at Prince George BC with the Hells influence) and push responsible people out of the market which is bad for them as well.

That said, marijuana legislation in US and Canada are federal laws... how can California make a marijuana law to make it legal, the DEA will still swoop down in SWAT gear and take away your stash :D

Edited by Cyrus

I'm more in favour of tougher sentencing for drug traffickers. I'm not opposed to making marijuana a prescription drug, solely available to the sick, who feel as though it provides some sort of relief.

Prohibition of alcohol though had one positive outcome: prior to prohibition, a very large portion of people were alcoholics. Following prohibition, a much smaller number of people were alcoholics.

Tobacco, while harmful to one's health, don't have the same negative impact as marijuana. One joint is equivalent to 5 cigarettes (in terms of damage to the lungs).