Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

• Réponses 48
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Membres prolifiques

Photos publiées

Hey you wish you got gas mileage like that! Three cylinders is the new eight :rotfl:

I've had one... It was so slow I had to push the pedal through the floor all the time... thus ending with sluggish mileage. Not worth the few cents saved. Then I bought my Magnum, and the situation was reversed, it's so powerful I'm barely touching the throttle, and, in the end, saving as much fuel as when I had that crappy 3 cylinders...

Back on topic... I always use turn signals, it's just a habit, I'm not even thinking about it, I just do it as a reflex. I even use it when I exit the parking, turning right on the one way street...

And I do as malek says, taking the #2 spot when I won't interfer with the other driver. But I won't do it in the reversed situation, as I won't clear the path for the incoming car as fast as the driver facing me.

Modifié par OursNoir

même s'il y a également un feu cycliste comme c'est le cas au coin de Brébeuf et Laurier. Il serait grand temps que la police patrouille sur les pistes cyclables pour imposer l'ordre. Je suppose qu'on va attendre qu'il y ait des morts ?

Brébeuf et Laurier est la pire intersection, puisqu'il y a un décalage d'environ 5-10 secondes entre le feu de piétons et de celui des vélos. J'ai même vu 3 "finest" (comme dirait notre ami MtlSkyline :highfive:) traverser sur la lumière des piétons sans s'en rendre compte la semaine passé. Je leur ai pas crié après comme tu l'aurais fait pcq j'étais aussi à vélo et j'avais mes écouteurs sur le oreilles!

• 4 semaines plus tard...
  • 3 semaines plus tard...

I wonder what are your (you mtlurb members, specially those who drive) thoughts on creative positive traffic calming measures like smiley speed cameras or this one here:

I know some of you are completely against any kind of traffic calming measures and would probably be happier if drivers were allowed to do whatever they want. I wouldn't know how this feels since I don't drive and have never really been strongly against any law or set of laws (at least not that I remember). But I guess it must be quite frustrating. I wonder if you would also be against making those who follow the rules happier while not making those who don't follow them significantly unhappier. I believe ideas like this are awesome but would really like to hear an opposite point of view :)

I wonder what are your (you mtlurb members, specially those who drive) thoughts on creative positive traffic calming measures like smiley speed cameras or this one here:

I know some of you are completely against any kind of traffic calming measures and would probably be happier if drivers were allowed to do whatever they want. I wouldn't know how this feels since I don't drive and have never really been strongly against any law or set of laws (at least not that I remember). But I guess it must be quite frustrating. I wonder if you would also be against making those who follow the rules happier while not making those who don't follow them significantly unhappier. I believe ideas like this are awesome but would really like to hear an opposite point of view :)

We shouldn't be trying to make anyone unhappy. Unhappy people are a bad thing, and unhappy drivers can be very dangerous.

The rules of the road should be reasonable and permit the reasonable activities of the majority... nobody is saying that they should be able to run through red lights, it is absurd and dangerous - but not being able to go 105 km/h when the sign says 100 is ridiculous.

In an urban context traffic "calming" usually is trying to prevent people from using the road as a through route instead of a property access role. But by design these roads are not suitable for this already (example: 50 km/h speed limit, driveways...). Why are people using the roads as a short cut, because the main roads are underdesigned and congested. If there is a problem, you have to tackle the problem at its source and not the symptoms. (imagine treating a cancer by drinking more coffee...)

Especially with things like photo enforcement. Lots of people support red light cameras that send you a ticket if you run a red light. Except that where they install the cameras, accidents increase at the intersection significantly. The "problem" is the collisions, not the colour of the light per se. You can easily reduce or eliminate red light running by proper timing of the yellow phase, since the vast majority of drivers (100 %) do not want to run a red, and when they do, it is just as it changes from yellow...

There is also something to note about outright scamming on the part of municipalities that install these cameras, by shortening the yellow phase to increase ticket numbers, it has happened many times (including Toronto) where you have a boulevard where all the yellows are 3 seconds (appropriate for the speed of traffic), and one intersection has a camera - and a sub-standard, dangerous yellow of 1 second.

Road safety (for all users) is very important, and traffic flow (for all users) is very important. These must be the goals of road and road environment design. "calming" per se doesn't improve either of these, generally it sacrifices a huge amount of flow and at the same time reduces safety.

Even for things like speed bumps, the reasonable speed on the street is probably about 50 km/h, maybe 60 km/h, maybe 40 km/h, or 30 km/h. But you can't drive over a speed bump at 30 km/h, you can only drive over it at like 10 km/h (bump) or 80 km/h (jump) if you drive the safe speed, you'll break something... what is exactly the point of these?

Modifié par Cyrus