Aller au contenu

is there something missing when outside Quebec?

steve_36

Messages recommendés

So Toronto is to ''americanised'' i guess ?

Until a generation ago, English Canada's source of distinction was its British heritage: Sir Whomever, Royal this, royal that etc. Multiculturalism and immigration has ended this British supremacy. Despite all of its clamoring and boasting, English Canada is basically America with socialized medicine. American students at McGill come to realize that there is no distinct culture in Canada that doesn't speak French.:thumbsup:

BTW, I am an American, graduate of McGill and the son of English Canadians (Newfoundland).

• Réponses 22
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Until a generation ago, English Canada's source of distinction was its British heritage: Sir Whomever, Royal this, royal that etc. Multiculturalism and immigration has ended this British supremacy. Despite all of its clamoring and boasting, English Canada is basically America with socialized medicine. American students at McGill come to realize that there is no distinct culture in Canada that doesn't speak French.:thumbsup:

BTW, I am an American, graduate of McGill and the son of English Canadians (Newfoundland).

I think you guys are being a bit hard on Hogtown and ROC

Canada is an interesting country to travel and visit, America is also a great place but isn't to say that TO and Chicago are clones of each other... for one, TO is not as corrupt :D

There are many thousands of kilometres to go west from TO in the ROC and by that I don't mean Oshawa :rotfl:

Maybe people have too much expectations for "distinct culture"...

Like i said before, it is hard to explain what it is... its an energy in the air maybe!

Sorry to bug you again with this Chris, but is there any way for you to describe this "energy"? Cause many torontonians would say that their city has just as much energy/vibe as Montreal.

I ask cause I am trying to understand the difference(especially from someone who's live outside Montreal). Thanks!

I think you guys are being a bit hard on Hogtown and ROC

Agreed! Even though I hate the arrogance of many Torontonians, I must admit that Toronto is no longer that boring city it was back in the 70's and 80's. The city has changed. Yes it still has some growing up to do (ie: always trying to be "World class" this and "world class" that.) but overall, the city is a major metropolitan centre on the North American continent.

I will always choose to live in Montreal before Toronto (duh!! :rolleyes: ) however, I don't think we can just dismiss that city.

I would really like to know from people who have lived in Both cities, what is it that makes Montreal so different?

I would really like to know from people who have lived in Both cities, what is it that makes Montreal so different?

I would like to know the same thing but beside the ''french factor''. I mean is the ''french factor" such a key element in the distinction beetwen both cities or is there something else as well ?

Only thing I miss when I am outside of Quebec, is pretty much my friends.

Quebec is a beautiful province. Thing is, other provinces, regions, states, cantons around the globe, do have something to offer by different languages and so forth.

When I leave Montreal to go to New York or Honolulu. I don't miss Montreal one bit. Guess seeing everyone there is different.

Thing is, most cities have nothing on Montreal. Toronto, more business and whatever. Calgary is god knows what. Vancouver, only thing going for them is nature right in their backyard.

Funny thing is, when I was in Toronto and spoke to people. They were shocked, when I told them I was from Montreal. They were like, what the hell you doing in Toronto? During the time I was there. I thought to myself the same question.

Modifié par jesseps

I find that Montreal does not try as much, as ROC, to be like the States... Their is this sense of 'confidence' is you will, of doing things their own way. Their is this feeling of 'I'm fine with who I am!' which is, i don't know, but perhaps entertaining.

For exemple, the second expesion of MBAM, by Moshe... I was just in there last week for my first time. It is an extremely neat building, especially the inside. Instead of 'importing' this world famous architect, Montreal used their own architect, who created this building that correspond to an identity. This building hasn't become famous like the Guggeinheim in Bilbao, but I think that it is by far a better building. Again, in the museum, their was alot of art from Canadian Artist, like Riopelle. I love the fact that this province is supporting their artist, not just the Picasso and the Monet. By doing so, we have a museum that has great canadian art, and is, somewhat, unique! When a province/city was build by themselves, to some extend, and not just by the best from the old world, or the best from the States, I feel a sense of pride. Someone of my culture has created this. Can the spaniard say the same with the Guggenheim? nope. Sure, I love international Architects... but it gives me a sense of pride that we are talented enough to re-invent ourselves. Maybe this energy that I refer too is more a sense of pride. Pride that le peuple Québécois has really built this amzing province from scratch, with an axe. When i first moved out of Québec, I didn't really have this feeling of 'Patriot' It has developped when i was away from québec, when i discovered my differences from the rest of Canada. Alot of people if Ontario told me that 'It was only a difference in language, nothing else.' But people here have a passion for whatever it is, a passion that is reflected in small details throughout the city. Place des Festivals...Le vieux Ports...Mont-Royal... All these places I have finally visited recently, after reading much about on this forum. This city is truly Amazing.... And I am proud to be part of the Peuple Québécois!

Does that help a bit... ?

I'm not sure, I am thinking of I.M. Pei and the PVM and Tallebert with the Big Owe :D

Yes, true... but I find, and I might be wrong, that Montreal was truly built by Québécois... Some of course international architectes were here...

But we can also think of companies like Hydro-Qubec, Bombardier, etc... who have brought Québec out of the dark ages...

Yes, true... but I find, and I might be wrong, that Montreal was truly built by Québécois... Some of course international architectes were here...

But we can also think of companies like Hydro-Qubec, Bombardier, etc... who have brought Québec out of the dark ages...

We can't forget the English, Scottish and Irish immigrants that built large swaths of this city (physically and economically).

Modifié par MTLskyline