Aller au contenu

Cities Held Hostage

GDS

Messages recommendés

https://watch.cbc.ca/absolutely-canadian/-/episode-11/38e815a-00ce3ab4178

Centred on the landmark investigation by Montreal Gazette journalist Henry Aubin in his book "City for Sale," plunges into the heart of a city in perpetual development and the forces that shape it.

"Martin Frigon’s film views Montreal’s urban development over the past 50 years mainly as a formalized racket in which faceless powers dump dehumanizing structures on the rest of us."

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Habsfan said:

just finshed watching the video...meh! I wasn't impressed!

Alot of complaining without any solutions to these so called problems!

I really enjoyed it actually. I know the views are definitely on the NIMBY side, but it's important to remember some of the mistakes of the past (granted... I wasn't around then), especially as things seem to be moving so fast in Montreal these days. It was refreshing to see CBC post a documentary showing Montreal's "big city issues" something that has really only been reserved for Toronto and Vancouver recently. Definitely a sign that we're on the rise.

I agree with you though - not much was proposed in the way of solutions. It still seems like Montreal lacks some vision and has been genuinely taken aback by the pace of development. I hate to see Victorian mansions sacrificed for faceless towers that always get value engineered down from the renders (see Stanbrooke... what a piece of garbage with it's EIFs siding instead of the decorative screen from the render). Perhaps if the city allowed for more intensification in key areas (200m+), developers wouldn't be so eager to destroy some of what's left of our heritage as the city lets it fall to ruin.

I wouldn't have voted for Mme. Plante, but I'm hopeful that Projet Montreal will be more sensitive to heritage preservation in Montreal, while being somewhat realistic that the boom is most certainly on.

Anywho, enjoyed the video very much. Thanks for posting it GDS. Montreal is full of potential and creativity. If we apply it, I believe we can achieve a desired balance!