Aller au contenu

Démographie de Montréal, sa région et du Québec

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

1 hour ago, Ashok said:

To be fair, even if everyone is bilingual in Montreal  - you still need to speak and write in French. 

The inter-province migration that often does not get talked about is that many French-Canadians outside of Quebec seek Montreal. Makes sense - I would imagine if you were a French-Canadian growing up in Sudbury or Rural Manitoba, the idea of moving to the big city would be Montreal. 

As  a  mechanic and francophone i write 90% of my time in english.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Ashok said:

Because you are working with clients outside of Quebec? That makes sense. But, you would have to be somehow specialized in that sense to get away with just English in Quebec. You can be an engineer and work for Bombardier even if your French is no good because most of Bombardier's contract is in English. 

But unless you have such a job, it would be difficult to just show up in Montreal and find a good job. 

My job is 90% in Quebec . I communicate with almost everyone in english even the francophone when i am writing a job description.

Essaye donc d'expliquer que tu change une draglink ou une tie rod en francais pour le fun.  

Depend of your field.  In IT almost everything is done in english the same thing occur with engineering. Many drivers in my company barely speak french.   

31 minutes ago, mark_ac said:

There's a problem people. Canadians avoid Quebec. 

We need people! We need skilled workers. We do not produce enough. How is this not a major cause for concern?

It'll change soon hopefully, I know with younger generations it is. I did a survey amongst a demographic of age 16-20 about the future of Quebec. About 95% want Montreal/Quebec to be more open to the world rather than conservative (cultural wise, Quebec is still very conservative). An interesting observation is with the younger ones, even amongst Francophones, they'd rather learn English and ditch French rather than vice versa. It was shocking but not surprising when we factor in globalisation. So now it becomes what the future generation wants (more liberal, international) vs gov't (preservation, telling people how to live lives linguistically, conservative when it comes to protectionism). So we can see big changes in 5-10 years, for better or worse. 

6 minutes ago, mark_ac said:

I suspect outside of Montreal its so much different and not politically advantageous to change the status quo.

Hence, Montreal is a big city of inertia. Hard to move forward.

It's a mixed bag and the usual suspects. Parents whose kids speak 2-3 languages rather keep English over French and unilingual Francophones want to keep French only. More kids are bi/tri-lingual and dislike how the government forces them/suppresses them linguistically. I even have Francophone family members who despise French because of all the laws in place and bureaucracy. So it gets to the point where they love Montreal, but to advance their careers they go to Toronto or the U.S. Now we do attract talent as well and smart immigrants, but there's still a huge outflow sadly. Now personally, I'm going to stay because I want to change the city and if the right doors open I will. But I also have to be realistic that if this province still doesn't progress then I'm gone, and I don't want that, but I want to progress career wise as well. 

2 hours ago, mark_ac said:

There's a problem people. Canadians avoid Quebec. 

We need people! We need skilled workers. We don't produce enough. How is this not a major cause for concern?

We are attracting skilled immigrants but once here, we don't accept their diplomas and experiences. That's ridiculous.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ashok said:

It is not always bad when a thing that people leave. Because they are still connected to Montreal - in NYC, I am learning a ton of new skill-sets and getting mentored in a way that I would not have had in Montreal, but this is positive from MTL's perspective because I am def. still anchored to my Montreal - because Montreal is home. I can bring those skill-sets back. Also, I also become an ambassador for Montreal. You can thank me for at least 5 Americans making their way up to Montreal last year. :P

That makes both of us, I made 4 friends from Miami and 2 for L.A to move here. All have Masters/ Ph.D.'s as well. 

• Like 1

Il y a 1 heure, Djentmaster001 a dit :

That makes both of us, I made 4 friends from Miami and 2 for L.A to move here. All have Masters/ Ph.D.'s as well. 

Je n'arrête pas de citer les mérites de Montréal de mon côté aussi.  Surtout que la ville est sur une lancée importante, ce n'est pas difficile de le faire.

• Like 2