Aller au contenu

Quebec Tries to Say Au Revoir to ‘Hi,’ and Hello to ‘Bonjour’

IluvMTL

Messages recommendés

Il y a 8 heures, jesseps a dit :

For the sake of diplomacy. If all retailers across Canada chose to start saying Bonjour/Hi, would Quebec still consider it an irritant or allow it here?

That would be amazing, but I doubt they would consider it at all. At the same time though, why would you greet someone in a language, when you arent able to proceed in that language? Even in Ottawa (as I previously said), you'd be hard pressed to be served in french, let alone get greeted in "billingual". Let's not kid ourselves.

Modifié par fmfranck

Il y a 1 heure, fmfranck a dit :

That would be amazing, but I doubt they would consider it at all. At the same time though, why would you greet someone in a language, when you arent able to proceed in that language? Even in Ottawa (as I previously said), you'd be hard pressed to be served in french, let alone get greeted in "billingual". Let's not kid ourselves.

Même dans les hôtels d'Ottawa où une bonne proportion de la clientèle est francophone, le personnel à la réception parle rarement français...  Ils l'ont pas, l'affaire!  :mad:

• Like 2

il y a 35 minutes, qwerty a dit :

Comment un politicien québécois peut il se prononcer contre ca...

Ca ne change rien à la futilité de ce débat.

Mon point est qu'il faut arrêter de mettre sur le dos du PQ les mesures de protection du français. Le PLQ, la CAQ et QS sont la plupart du temps unanimes à cet égard. Exemple : la plupart des réformes de la Charte de la langue Française ont étés faites en majorité par le PLQ. Hint : ce n'était pas pour diminuer son impact. 

Since the topic here is really how this Agreement will affect outsiders' views of Montreal (and Québec at large), my take is the following:

Americans visit Toronto because it’s like staying at home except that their dollar goes further. Toronto is a nice comfortable choice.

My experience is that Americans who visit Montreal come because they are looking for something different. It’s Europe, except that their dollar goes further. These are the slightly more adventurous and progressive Americans. They will, in most cases, respect the attitude of Quebecers on language. They came from a culture which overthrew an imperialist force and they have respect for independent thinking. So they will basically admire Quebec’s determination. As far as European tourists are concerned, the French will love it and most of the other nationals (excluding the English who are most definitely not European) understand the fragility of minority languages. They are often multilingual and feel very comfortable in Montreal.

The one group which may hesitate to visit is the Canadians in the ROC. Most of them avoid Quebec anyway; they feel guilty about not speaking French and anticipate a hostile reaction. This gives them another excuse to stay away and feel righteous at the same time. For those who actually know Montreal, this won’t change a thing.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mont royal said:

Since the topic here is really how this Agreement will affect outsiders' views of Montreal (and Québec at large), my take is the following:

Americans visit Toronto because it’s like staying at home except that their dollar goes further. Toronto is a nice comfortable choice.

My experience is that Americans who visit Montreal come because they are looking for something different. It’s Europe, except that their dollar goes further. These are the slightly more adventurous and progressive Americans. They will, in most cases, respect the attitude of Quebecers on language. They came from a culture which overthrew an imperialist force and they have respect for independent thinking. So they will basically admire Quebec’s determination. As far as European tourists are concerned, the French will love it and most of the other nationals (excluding the English who are most definitely not European) understand the fragility of minority languages. They are often multilingual and feel very comfortable in Montreal.

The one group which may hesitate to visit is the Canadians in the ROC. Most of them avoid Quebec anyway; they feel guilty about not speaking French and anticipate a hostile reaction. This gives them another excuse to stay away and feel righteous at the same time. For those who actually know Montreal, this won’t change a thing.

Not sure about that. And you're leaving out the biggest group of them all, the Americans who read these stories and are afraid to venture here because they won't understand the language and we won't speak thiers. Watch FOX or CNN and you'll see what we're dealing with.

il y a 19 minutes, IluvMTL a dit :

Not sure about that. And you're leaving out the biggest group of them all, the Americans who read these stories and are afraid to venture here because they won't understand the language and we won't speak thiers. Watch FOX or CNN and you'll see what we're dealing with.

Thats why no american ever go to Mexio/Carribeans, right? Give me a break. 
Only the BBC article implied that we wouldnt speak english here, which is, of course, complete horse excrement. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, fmfranck said:

Thats why no american ever go to Mexio/Carribeans, right? Give me a break. 
Only the BBC article implied that we wouldnt speak english here, which is, of course, complete horse excrement. 

Methinks you  you give the average American too much credit. Just look at who they elected as their leader.

Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...