Aller au contenu

Amazon looking for a location to have a 2nd HQ

jesseps

Messages recommendés

5 hours ago, mark_ac said:

You dont have to worry or think about it - Amazon is NOT coming to MTL.

Ok, I'm making a deal with you : if Amazon come to Mtl you are moving to To? Its a deal? 

Modifié par playmind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Boston for education and talent pool. Amazon also has a cost problem,and Boston is in the same range as Seattle. Why go through all this exercise If the overwhelming criteria is the abundance of local tech talent. Why include Canada? Why such a list of other specs and not pick the obvious Boston directly? All that for subsidies and marketing? 

The main driver of tech companies is innovation. Right?  This RFP is, in my mind, a great way to feel the pulse,the vibe of a city. Statistics and rankings are useful but I think tech companies are beyond that. I am not sure they work that way.They are looking forward. The vision of the future is their game. They want to create.

Somewhere it might be just as much, if not more, a question of culture as one of education and power. The very high tech revolution is largely based on the West coast of the US. Why did it happen there? Could it be the culture? Boston and SF are two worlds apart. 

• Like 1

Personne n'a pensé mentionner la Ciudad de México? C'est en Amérique du Nord, population de près de 25 millions d'habitants, coût de la vie très inférieur à ce qu'on peut trouver au nord de la frontière... Si Amazon considère le Canada, alors je ne vois pas pourquoi ils ne considéreraient pas le Mexique aussi.

Ou même Monterrey, tiens. C'est un gros centre industriel et commercial (région de 4,5 millions d'habitants), une grosse communauté d'affaires en raison des nombreuses entreprises étrangères et locales implantées là, plusieurs universités, dont un gros institut technique qui forme, entre autres, pas mal d'ingénieurs.

Modifié par Rotax
  • Thanks 1

I saw an article yesterday or this morning, show a list of 20+ cities in the US. They would have put Toronto, but they couldn't find information required.

The best cities were Salt Lake, Denver, Raleigh and I think Boston. Not in that order. Raleigh would be first, but their public transit / infrastructure is not up to the task. The city and most likely the state would need to invest a ton to make it feasible. 

Salt Lake City and Denver? I thought they we're looking for an east coast city. But looking back it doesn't really say that anywhere. At the same time, I can't help but having offices on the east coast would be better for business (different time zones, etc).