Aller au contenu

IluvMTL

Messages recommendés

1 hour ago, mark_ac said:

Perhaps our tourism officials should do a better job?

Maybe getting a Montreal website not only in French and English but also in Spanish and some other language like German and Arabic.

And also maybe doing a campaign for Montreal in Mexico City. . 

A lot of wealthy Mexican could visit us. And there are now more flights to Montreal. 

And I could add that Cirque du Soleil is helping to put Montreal on the map. Le Cirque du Soleil is doing a South America tour with a new show on the famous Argentinian RockBand Soda Stereo

https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/sep7imo-dia

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mark_ac said:

There's a disease in the public service in Quebec and that's aversion to foreign languages especially English. It's socialized and engrained.

The cops in Montreal are pretty fluent in english as I could see. I heard many of them helping the american touristes with all the mess with blocked streets. 

English isn't a issue. I met an Saskatchewan lady at the Tims Hortons on Cote de Liesse and she were asking me for directions and wondering if I could speak in English. She was a little insecure about that fact . 

I told her to not worry almost everybody speak English in 
Montreal and if you met someone who can't speak they will found someone who can help you. 

And about some ayatolah for French in public service , the baby boomers are retiring.  The new generation don't have the same grief against the anglos. 

Essaye juste pour le fun de trouver quelqu'un a Toronto qui parle français dans la fonction public. 9_9

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mark_ac said:

Typical Montreal - we don't like the results so we just ignore them and deem it fake news,

you are kidding me right?, the whole index is a joke, Abu Dhabi is a desert in the middle of nowhere, how many museums, arts galleries, night clubs, restaurants are in the city? what kind of cultural or artistic environment do you have there? I would be even willing to acknowledge the survey results had Dubai been in the number 2 spot, but Abu Dhabi seriously??? Abu Dhabi c'est un trou and before you ask I have lived there.

But whatever excuse you have to turn any subject into the usual Quebec should 'speak white' BS is a valid one

• Like 1

Il y a 5 heures, mark_ac a dit :

Typical Montreal - we don't like the results so we just ignore them and deem it fake news,

Typical mark_ac. Ne jamais réfléchir de manière critique sur toutes les niaiseries qui nous viennent du monde du marketing et donner une importance exagérée à la mesure de "perceptions", comme si le jugement des autres était le but de l'existence. 

Vous avez si souvent l'air de vous levez le matin en vous inquiétant de ce qu'on pense de Montréal à Moose Jaw... Get a life. 

Modifié par uqam+

mark_ac,

Libre à vous d'accorder de la crédibilité à une enquête d'opinion qui fait d'Abu Dhabi la 2e "top city" du monde. (quelle notion insignifiante, d'entrée de jeu) 

Libre à moi de trouver ça ridicule. 

On ne sait d'ailleurs rien des échantillonnages ayant pu mener à des résultats aussi aberrants. Il semble évident qu'ils sont peu représentatifs de la population mondiale (dont une forte proportion ne doit même pas savoir qu'Abu Dhabi existe) 

Tout ça a l'air d'un selfie de l'overclass mondialisée qui se complaît à trouver ses lubies importantes.

Et permettez-moi de ne pas tomber gaga d'admiration pour des firmes de sondages, comme si elles exprimaient l'alpha et l'oméga de la raison humaine. 

The truth is that these lists vary; sometimes Montreal even comes out on top...best student city in the world.e.g.

Some people, in fact, many people, like or even love Montreal, I love it and I am grateful to live here. I love the type of people who also love the uniqueness of this city.

Others don't like it? Fine, no problem. Let them find a place where they can fit in better and enjoy their life. 

These lists have a certain marketing value and can be helpful in attracting people to either visit or move here. So, it is interesting and even helpful to debate their merits. But I don't want them to put me on the defensive. I know what I like, I know the city better than any outsider and I know that I am lucky to live here. 

11 hours ago, andre md said:

Bad point for Montreal money beggar at every corner. 

I saw more money beggar in Montreal than in Madrid or Athens, two cities which suffer terrible economic crisis.

Well if you look at it in a different way it isn't so bad. A beggar can survive in Montreal because the cost of living is so low, I'm sure most have somewhere to live(the people asking for money aren't usually the ones sleeping on a park bench, at least from my experience) it is almost physically impossible for someone like that to survive in a high cost city. Also Montrealers are more kind than Montrealers make them out to be. Maybe if we were as mean as we say beggars wouldn't even try to ask for money and they would just hide away out of sight. I don't know but there are always positives and negatives with every situation we just have to juggle between to get the best overall result for the citizens of this great city.