Aller au contenu

IluvMTL

Messages recommendés

1 hour ago, theodore123abc said:

Well if you look at it in a different way it isn't so bad. A beggar can survive in Montreal because the cost of living is so low, I'm sure most have somewhere to live(the people asking for money aren't usually the ones sleeping on a park bench, at least from my experience) it is almost physically impossible for someone like that to survive in a high cost city. Also Montrealers are more kind than Montrealers make them out to be. Maybe if we were as mean as we say beggars wouldn't even try to ask for money and they would just hide away out of sight. I don't know but there are always positives and negatives with every situation we just have to juggle between to get the best overall result for the citizens of this great city.  

As a Tourist for example i dislike being bothered by people who insist to offer me a service.

The worst case Lima Peru. Once you passed the custom they are like mosquitos around you offering you taxi, cellphone, accomadation etc... Same thing in Santiago Chile.

In Buenos Aires airport There is no harassment .like that. I guess there is some kind of control over there.

I'm pretty sure the tourists don't really appreciate the money beggar in Montreal.

1 hour ago, andre md said:

As a Tourist for example i dislike being bothered by people who insist to offer me a service.

The worst case Lima Peru. Once you passed the custom they are like mosquitos around you offering you taxi, cellphone, accomadation etc... Same thing in Santiago Chile.

In Buenos Aires airport There is no harassment .like that. I guess there is some kind of control over there.

I'm pretty sure the tourists don't really appreciate the money beggar in Montreal.

If the problem is perceived as tourists being subjected to seeing beggars, it can be easily solved. In some countries beggars are imprisoned; in others they are restricted to certain areas of town; in others, they are disappeared. Problem solved; for the tourists at least. A nice clean sanitized city. Of course, these cures are worse than the disease...and the disease is poverty, or economic disparity, or addiction. Hiding beggars solves nothing.

Modifié par mont royal

1 hour ago, andre md said:

The beggars have gotten worse on Ste-Cath, to the extent where they frequently urinate on the street, trying to hide between parked cars. I've seen this a few times this summer. It's a problem.

1 hour ago, mont royal said:

If the problem is perceived as tourists being subjected to seeing beggars, it can be easily solved. In some countries beggars are imprisoned; in others they are restricted to certain areas of town; in others, they are disappeared. Problem solved; for the tourists at least. A nice clean sanitized city. Of course, these cures are worse than the disease...and the disease is poverty, or economic disparity, or addiction. Hiding beggars solves nothing.

Why so many beggars ? 6% unemployement in Quebec also we are paying tons of taxes to get more social services . I don't catch it. 

1 hour ago, mont royal said:

Begging should be the last recourse. For many begging money is a way of life not by absolute necessity. I agree to help people who really need money. Not for beggars coming from others provinces to spend the summer in Montreal. 

As a montrealer i'm fedup to get so many beggars  to every highway,  bridge entrance and exit. 

il y a une heure, andre md a dit :

Why so many beggars ? 6% unemployement in Quebec also we are paying tons of taxes to get more social services . I don't catch it. 

Beggars are not beggars just because they don't have a job.  There are some heavy cases of mental illness and drug use among beggars.  The problem is deeper then that.

27 minutes ago, ToxiK said:

Beggars are not beggars just because they don't have a job.  There are some heavy cases of mental illness and drug use among beggars.  The problem is deeper then that.

Begging money in the street is a  new trend now . 

We could even see tourist begging money to pay for their trip. 

http://observers.france24.com/en/20170410-“beg-packers”-white-tourists-who-beg-southeast-asia

Real homeless people with mental problems quite often stay isolated and doesnt  begg for money.

2 hours ago, andre md said:

Begging money in the street is a  new trend now . 

We could even see tourist begging money to pay for their trip. 

http://observers.france24.com/en/20170410-“beg-packers”-white-tourists-who-beg-southeast-asia

Real homeless people with mental problems quite often stay isolated and doesnt  begg for money.

Most of the homeless in Montreal are individuals who have mental issues compounded with drug abuse, but maybe instead of solving their problems and helping them to get out of the streets we could deport them to Nunavut so you and the tourists are not bothered! So much for social empathy and human decency!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, alaink said:

Most of the homeless in Montreal are individuals who have mental issues compounded with drug abuse, but maybe instead of solving their problems and helping them to get out of the streets we could deport them to Nunavut so you and the tourists are not bothered! So much for social empathy and human decency!

Most of the beggars are not homeless. 

Some of them are from other provinces spending their summer in Montreal. 

I doubt that Montreal having more people with mental issue than any other major cities. 

Of course I won't give money to a junkie this is not helping him.

Robbing people to get money to buy drugs this is human decency maybe.

From my own experience i tried to help an alcoholic living in the street. I let him living in an apartment belonging to my mom for free. And you know what happens he put fire in the apartment with a cigarette because he was too drunk and fall asleep. I learn my lesson. 

Il y a 18 heures, andre md a dit :

Bonne question. Le taux de chômage est aussi très bas aux États-Unis. Pourtant, tellement de pauvreté, et pauvreté crasse je veux dire. Le taux de chômage, c'est une chose. La répartition des richesses, une autre complètement.

Il y a 13 heures, andre md a dit :

From my own experience i tried to help an alcoholic living in the street. I let him living in an apartment belonging to my mom for free. And you know what happens he put fire in the apartment with a cigarette because he was too drunk and fall asleep. I learn my lesson. 

This is a bad experience, for sure. But others I've read about are more positive. Do not underestimate the value of helping. Collectively, it will be much more powerful a tool for social peace.

But I can understand the frustration concerning your appartment.