Aller au contenu

Interjet plans Montreal launch in July 2017

Messages recommendés

• 2 semaines plus tard...

Time will tell how much the tickets will cost.

I have been saying it for so long. The prices of airfare needs to go down and I do hope the ULCC that are looking to start up in the next 2-3 years, might help. Also the new rules that the federal government put into place or will be in 2018.

Bring on the competition. No more monopolies.

Where is there a monopoly anymore in Canada?  There is plenty of fair share competition for companies to open-up wherever they choose.  The main problem with Canada is the size of the country does not work well with the Ultra-Low-Cost-Model (Think: Large distances to cover with minimal population).

I am all for increasing competition with more carriers, but ULCC will be tough to make work here in the long term.

9 hours ago, FlyboyMTL said:

Where is there a monopoly anymore in Canada?  There is plenty of fair share competition for companies to open-up wherever they choose.  The main problem with Canada is the size of the country does not work well with the Ultra-Low-Cost-Model (Think: Large distances to cover with minimal population).

I am all for increasing competition with more carriers, but ULCC will be tough to make work here in the long term.

For it is a monopoly, seeing I do not see a price difference between Air Canada or WestJet to certain locations outside of Canada. True, we can fly to Europe with Transat or WOW Air (which becomes expensive if you have luggage).

A monopoly implies that the consumer has no other option and therefore prices are not as affected by traditional economic laws of supply and demand.  Take First Air, Air Inuit and Air Creebec for example, where those villages aren't served by any other carriers, and a trip to Salluit can cost you 2000$.  

The rest of canada especially the large cities do not experience a monopoly.  Air Canada/WestJet/Air Transat and the dozens of other carriers provide many, many, options to get places.  Margins on these flights are already very very low due to the high cost of operating in Canada.  Smaller population centers, Cost of fuel to go long distances, airport utilization costs not comparably seen anywhere else in NA or Europe, and higher operations costs for things such as de-icing and winter operations will all prohibit ULCC's from working here.  

We may see ULCCs establish with small initial networks, but, it will be almost imposible for them to grow and keep the same model before becoming just another mainline carrier.  (ie. WestJet)