Aller au contenu

Montréal tops 2016 North American rankings of most popular cities for international conventions, reports the ICCA

_mtler_

Messages recommendés

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/montreal-tops-2016-north-american-rankings-of-most-popular-cities-for-international-conventions-reports-the-icca-622006023.html

MONTRÉAL, May 11, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - Montréal is back on top as the city having hosted the most international conventions in all of North America, according to the Country and City 2016 rankings released by the International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA). Montréal finished ahead of destinations like Toronto, Vancouver New York, Chicago and Washington with 76 events held at the Palais des congrès de Montréal, the universities and the city's hotels. These events attracted nearly 37,000 business travelers and delegates to the city – 21% more than the runner-up destination. The last time Montréal finished atop the North American rankings was 2013.

"The excellent work performed by the Palais des congrès and its Ambassadors, by Tourisme Montréal and all the tourism and institutional partners, is generating remarkable results, including a top spot in international rankings like the ICCA's," indicated Raymond Larivée, President and CEO of the Palais des congrès de Montréal.

"It's easy to do business in Montréal. There's a synergy among the city partners, the quality of the services offered by local experts is outstanding, as is the opportunity to interact with influencers from various industry sectors, not to mention the increase in number of flights, which makes the city even more accessible. I would like to point out the excellent of everyone involved," said Yves Lalumière, President and CEO of Tourisme Montréal.

"I salute the collective effort that continues to nurture Montréal's international standing. Business tourism is of capital importance for the city's hospitality community," declared Eve Paré, President and CEO of the Hotels Association of Greater Montreal.

Satisfied attendees
Furthermore, once conventions are confirmed, Montréal and the Palais have an outstanding track record of meeting the needs and requirements of convention organizers and delegates. In fact, in a poll conducted by the Ipsos research firm for Tourisme Montréal, 95% of leisure and business tourists responded they were satisfied with their experience during their stay in Montréal in 2016. Also, 97% of business tourists would recommend Montréal to work colleagues and business contacts. "We provide an infrastructure that meets the needs of major international associations, and we are proud of our role in nurturing Montréal's reputation as a premier destination," said Chrystine Loriaux, Director of Marketing and Communications at the Palais des congrès.

I don't know how stupid statistic like this makes the news. It is only comparing members of the ICCA. So for Chicago, the Palais de Congres is being compared to the Radisson Aqua Blu, not McCormick Center. There are actually only 5 venues in the USA that are members. 

Dreamforce alone in San Fransisco had 170,000 delegates, that is 5 times what Palais de Congres did in one year by one event. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 10:29 AM, GDS said:

I don't know how stupid statistic like this makes the news. It is only comparing members of the ICCA. So for Chicago, the Palais de Congres is being compared to the Radisson Aqua Blu, not McCormick Center. There are actually only 5 venues in the USA that are members. 

Dreamforce alone in San Fransisco had 170,000 delegates, that is 5 times what Palais de Congres did in one year by one event. 

There has never been any ambiguity about these stats. It has always been made clear that they are talking about international conventions; not domestic or North American. In my view, the fact that Montreal remains the most popular North American city for international gatherings tells an important story.

Nor is it the least surprising that domestic (i.e. American conferences) don`t leave the USA. I cannot imagine a conference for a Canadian association of some kind being held outside of Canada; it would be a offence to the constituency and there would be no local hosting partner. 

il y a une heure, mont royal a dit :

ing that domestic (i.e. American conferences) don`t leave the USA. I cannot imagine a conference for a Canadian association of some kind being held outside of Canada; it would be a offence to the constituency and there would be no local hosting partner. 

Well, it depends...  Where do you think members of an association prefer to meet, in Hawai or in Winnipeg?

5 hours ago, mont royal said:

There has never been any ambiguity about these stats. It has always been made clear that they are talking about international conventions; not domestic or North American. In my view, the fact that Montreal remains the most popular North American city for international gatherings tells an important story.

Nor is it the least surprising that domestic (i.e. American conferences) don`t leave the USA. I cannot imagine a conference for a Canadian association of some kind being held outside of Canada; it would be a offence to the constituency and there would be no local hosting partner. 

No, ,you don't understand. It is comparing int'l delegates for member convention centers only. Since there are only 5 members in the USA, the statistic is meaningless. Since McCormick Center in Chicago is not a member, comparing Montreal to Chicago is a falsehood. This doesn't even cover that American  attendees are considered int'l in Canada. What cities care about is that non local people attend and book flights, hotels, eat in restaurants etc.

Its not that I think Palais des Congres is doing a bad job, its that we are not the most popular North American destination for int'l visitors. Like I mentioned, Dreamforce has 170,000 attendees. They don't break it out, but I would surmise ~30% are international. That one event would have more than Montreal in one year. Just think of other major event that probably attract large int'l numbers - CES, Detroit Auto Show, SEMA,