Aller au contenu

Montréal au 14e rang pour les "Milllenials"

p_xavier

Messages recommendés

3 hours ago, franktko said:

Ça ressemble à un article qu'on verrait sur MTL Blog......

Effectivement. Mais l'article a été publiée dans un média américain, est très favorable et factuel. Une belle image de Montréal.

Le 21 avril 2017 à 17:21, Chris1989 a dit :

You cherry pick Mark. That's my problem with what you post. Gazette has had many positive articles this past year, so have a number of different publications but you focus on the negative ones and always throw in a "see, we've slipped since 1976", which is, I mean come on, how can it not be seen as a veiled shot at the French. You're suggesting Quebec started sucking when the French took control of the wheel and we haven't ever recovered. I'm an Anglo and that shit infuriates me. I'm sure you'll argue you never said anything like that, but then WHAT have you been insinuating all these years? 

I understand as an Anglo, its hard to look at 1976 and not see it as the beginning of a "downfall", but that was going to happen one way or another. It was despicable that the English establishment controlled this province when a vast majority of the population were Francophones. If you disagree with that, you're beyond repair. We've had a rough four decades economically, no doubt about it, I'm not blind to it, but I think everyone can agree Montreal is much more unique and much better off today than it was in 1976. We would not be who we are today without that "hiccup". We've been around for 375 years and I firmly believe that in the future, the 40 or so years of "rough economic times" will be seen as a tiny little blotch in the history of the city. The future generations won't remember that unemployment was high, that shops closed, that hundreds of thousands fled. Some will obviously recall it, but most will see it as the era when Cirque was born, the Jazz and Comedy fests, Moment Factory becoming a force around the world, when the French population finally got their voices heard, when the city began to gentrify, when our culinary scene somehow topped our past one, our schools were considered among the best on the planet and the city recognized as #1 in the world to be a university student. A lot of this is only now happening because we've gotten better at marketing the things we're good at. Old Montreal was a forgotten area of the city 20 years ago. Tourism was incredibly low, and now it's become one of the most visited tourist areas on the planet. It's estimated 6 million tourists visit the area every year; by comparison Vatican City sees 4.2 million and the Colosseum gets about 4 million. Isn't that insane! We need to start talking about the things we're good at and figuring out how we can expand on it, and grow it to other areas. There's so much to be proud of I can't even list it all. I get you're pessimistic about a lot of things and we need to be vigilant to keep on the right course, but you talk about Montreal as if it's Detroit right now and headed for worse. We're not Detroit. 

Let Toronto be Toronto. They have all the money in the world (apparently) and yet it's still somehow soulless. Toronto definitely has a "thing" going, but tall glass boxes, dirty parks, poor integration between the towers and street, and bland bland BLAND architecture everywhere you go is what they've been working on SINCE they became the biggest town in Canada. And all I ever hear is "But Toronto is getting better!" LOL. I'm sure it's much better than what it was, but they've had 40 years to do better and they still can't match the best cities in the world. What are they waiting for? Maybe it's because it has nothing to do with money and political influence and everything to do with heritage. Montreal's "je ne sais quoi" is passed down from generation to generation. It's in our bloodstream. You either have "it" or you don't. Toronto tried buying some of it and it still did fuck all over there. And perhaps the worst thing about Toronto: they're still as insecure as ever. God help them if any city surpasses them, the rest of Canada will never hear the end of it. When they surpassed Chicago in population they wouldn't shut up about it and argued they were now a BETTER city than Chicago. Really? Jesus Christ. It blows my mind to think some people rank city "greatness" based off of how many humans there are living in a city. 

You know what native Torontonian Lorne Michaels said about Toronto? "There's a thing that happens when you grow up in a place like Toronto. Everyone says stuff like "the food here is as good as New York", and I always respond, you know where they don't say that?" There's two types of people. Those who compare everything they have with everyone else to argue how much better they are, and those who know who they are and don't have any desire to try and compare with or convince anyone else

This town has made some incredible history over the last 375 years, and I truly believe the best is yet to come. 10 years ago I wouldn't have said that, but it feels like everything has been changing since. It started slow in the 2000s and now, well, you all know. No matter how rocky things may get, Montreal will always stand the test of time.

Rant over. Thanks for bearing with me folks.

I love you man.

il y a 35 minutes, mark_ac a dit :

Before you accuse me of cherry picking, would highly suggest you don't put words in my mouth. You're falsely accusing me of something that's never been my position.

Let me re-articulate my position.

1.) The separatist cause was the reason why we lost BILLIONS in wealth, power, and human capital to Toronto. Not because of francophones - and neither was the quiet revolution the sole cause

2.) Quebec being afraid to accept and promote bilingualism has costed us BILLIONS of the same elements above (wealth, jobs, families etc.)

Let's discuss those 2 points (the last 3 are personnal to you). 

-The economy was (and still is) moving west.  The separatist movement did not help but it was (with Bil 101) a convenient excuse to move away.  Many plants in Montréal were getting obsolete and too small and many companies took that opportunity to built new more performant plants outside Québec (and make their offices follow them) using the PQ as a scapegoat.

-Even before separatism and Bill 101, there was already a dislike for Québec in the ROC (and it contributed to the rise of separatism).  No way the main Canadian establishment would have wanted its principal city to be one where Francos were the equals of Anglos.  Simple porteurs d'eau, sure.  Equals, never (even less if a majority of high positions were hold by Francos)!  Toronto was the perfect choice for that establishment to move to, and the opportunity was perfect to blame Québécers themselves...

-We might sometime overdo the defense of French.  We could also be more open to bilinguilism.  But not at the price or risking to lose French here (which would please a big amount of people in the ROC).  If we lost our language and culture, how many jobs would we have lost in the cultural industries?  We wouldn't produce much here, it would be done in Toronto and, most likely, in the United States. 

-We often hear people in the ROC (well, mainly Toronto) that we want to protect our own institution here because we are racist or anti-canadian or disloyal.  They have an ulterior motive...  They want those institutions managed (if not entirelly located) in Toronto.  Look at the  "national" security commission.  Toronto doesn't want Québec (or any other provinces, but mainly Québec) to keep it's own security commision.  Of course, they pretend it is for the good of the country, not to improve Toronto standing and move well paying jobs there.  We should trust them to manage us...  Yeah, right!

Separatism and Bill 101 are a contributing factor of Montréal decline, but they are also a convenient excuse to hide that other factors played along.  And now, our différences with the ROC can become a strenght.  Separatism will never fully go away, French being the main language in Montréal is a good thing.  Let's learn to live with that and stop complaining about the past and cry about a future that couldn't really have been.

• Like 3

Il y a 1 heure, mark_ac a dit :

This is not about the past. Its about now and the future.

Who is going to create business in Quebec? Who is going to create the next big HQs and made in Quebec solutions? Who is going to take over in Quebec INC.?

Is Montreal going to become a major global city, or a regional city eclipsed by the Toronto, New York, Chicago and Boston that surround it.... i'm not convinced its the former.

Well, innovation is the future and innovation is based on creativity.  So the future is based on creativity.  I am not too worried about our place in the world.  We are a creative city, we just need more confidence.

Je dirais que d'ici 100 ans, la grosseur des villes n'aura plus vraiment d'importance. Pensez-vous vraiment que le monde de demain aura les mêmes conditions que lors des 60 dernières années ? je ne crois pas. Il faut arrêter de s'en faire avec le futur car il n'y a aucune ligne d'arrivée.

Le 23/04/2017 à 21:39, mark_ac a dit :

This is not about the past. Its about now and the future.

Who is going to create business in Quebec? Who is going to create the next big HQs and made in Quebec solutions? Who is going to take over in Quebec INC.?

Is Montreal going to become a major global city, or a regional city eclipsed by the Toronto, New York, Chicago and Boston that surround it.... i'm not convinced its the former.

Do you seriously think nobody here is working really hard to make this city a better, business-friendly place and attract top talent??? Young professionals today are more bilingual than they ever were (both anglos and francos are learning the other language, as well as allophones). I work my butt off every single day to help my clients grow their business here, and there are hundreds of others like me, who try to attract investment here. Sure it's not the super-glamour multi-billion dollar announcement you would love to see, but trust me, Montreal is developing. We'll never be the financial capital of the country, but we are the best at so many other things. We'll never compare to Toronto, New York or Chicago in economic or demographic strength, but hey, such is life, and we'll just deal with it. Does Barcelona try to outperform Madrid all the time? I don't think so. 

So it's kinda insulting that you keep talking like nobody is doing anything here to make Montreal better and wealthier and more beautiful, because it is simply not true. 

• Like 2

il y a 1 minute, mark_ac a dit :

Never said that. But is it not well documented that Montreal has trouble attracting and retaining its own talent, let alone find top global talent. Just in my circle alone a huge number of very smart and trained 30 somethings from McGill have left for Toronto. I don't see the reverse happening, unless my head is the sand as you will likely accuse me of doing.

Part of this career opportunity, part of it language issues, part of it climate etc. 

That's great... But what about the very smart and trained 30 somethings from UQAM or UdeM or HEC or Sherbrooke, heck even UQTR and Laval... They're mostly staying here and some of them are global talents... McGill and Concordia have higher rates of out-of-province students who move back every year, there is also a lot more mobility around the country for anglophones (Vancouver/Calgary/Winnipeg... They also have a lot of their graduates moving to Toronto).

From what i've experienced and talking to many people from concordia or hearing from their friends, there's definetly a negative sentiment towards quebecers (aka francophones). I've heard the worst thing and people had surprisingly no shame at all to talk about it (coming from people that are minorities themselves). I feel like they see english-Montreal simply as a springboard for their future career in the rest of canada. The cost of living is muuuuch cheaper here so why not come study here in universities that are respectable and move out after. Most jobs require you to be fully bilingual anyway, thats a big obstacle that most people just don't wanna bother with.

Modifié par Blitz

1 hour ago, Blitz said:

From what i've experienced and talking to many people from concordia or hearing from their friends, there's definetly a negative sentiment towards quebecers (aka francophones). I've heard the worst thing and people had surprisingly no shame at all to talk about it (coming from people that are minorities themselves). I feel like they see english-Montreal simply as a springboard for their future career in the rest of canada. The cost of living is muuuuch cheaper here so why not come study here in universities that are respectable and move out after. Most jobs require you to be fully bilingual anyway, thats a big obstacle that most people just don't wanna bother with.

From my friends who go to Concordia or McGill, after they graduate most want to leave Montreal to go to the U.S or Toronto, even though I keep telling them MTL has a bright future for everyone, it goes over their heads. Main reason to them is French, which is funny because even though I'm struggling my ass off to relearn my French (which is more difficult than I thought sadly. On the contrary, I speak Italian and some Spanish so one day I'll speak the top 4 languages in the city) I'm still sticking here because this city is special, amazing and has a bright future ahead Plus coming back here was the best decision I made. On the flip side, I've convinced many of my American friends to move to MTL, so far I have about 10 coming this summer and they chose MTL over T.O because it's different, affordable, diverse, artsy, etc... This city is just amazing, quality of life is amazing, the culture and community spirit is lovely to see and rare in a big city. So all those butthurt people who complain about language, the weather, the taxes, the roads, good riddance, more opportunity for me. And if they think this city/province is the "worst" they're in for a rude awakening, trust me. 

• Like 2

Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

Countup

• Créer...