Aller au contenu

Montréal au 14e rang pour les "Milllenials"

p_xavier

Messages recommendés

Il y a 6 heures, Djentmaster001 a dit :

From my friends who go to Concordia or McGill, after they graduate most want to leave Montreal to go to the U.S or Toronto, even though I keep telling them MTL has a bright future for everyone, it goes over their heads. Main reason to them is French, which is funny because even though I'm struggling my ass off to relearn my French (which is more difficult than I thought sadly. On the contrary, I speak Italian and some Spanish so one day I'll speak the top 4 languages in the city) I'm still sticking here because this city is special, amazing and has a bright future ahead Plus coming back here was the best decision I made. On the flip side, I've convinced many of my American friends to move to MTL, so far I have about 10 coming this summer and they chose MTL over T.O because it's different, affordable, diverse, artsy, etc... This city is just amazing, quality of life is amazing, the culture and community spirit is lovely to see and rare in a big city. So all those butthurt people who complain about language, the weather, the taxes, the roads, good riddance, more opportunity for me. And if they think this city/province is the "worst" they're in for a rude awakening, trust me. 

Let anglo Canadians flock to Toronto, we'll attract international talent that doesn't think that french is worse than leprosy. At some point, you have to make your peace with the stereotypes that some people choose to keep. Some anglo Canadians, driven by a narrative that is all too common in the ROC (just watch Canada : The story of us), think they are better than Quebeckers. Let them. We'll continue to be inviting, and we'll continue to be insulted by some. Some will stay, others won't. C'est la vie. 

• Like 2

Montreal today is shaping up to be a hotspot for talented people more than ever before. That in addition to our lower costs for housing, power, car insurance, child care are making this city more attractive. And the futur looks bright.

This turnaround has just happened recently but has been in the works for some time. The language issue will remain but for those who are willing to integrate in this environment there will be more and more opportunities. Some still have an outdated point of view of Montréal. It may take some time to sink in. But,most will soon find out as It becomes more obvious.This city has become a strong competitor and has a more appealing job market. We have a work in progress of key fundammentals that will strengthen our economy. 

There will be a need for a well qualified work force to sustain a dynamic economy and Montreal with its great quality of living and low costs will become even more attractive for university and tech school grads, local and outsiders.

il y a 24 minutes, gomtl a dit :

Montreal today is shaping up to be a hotspot for talented people more than ever before. That in addition to our lower costs for housing, power, car insurance, child care are making this city more attractive. And the futur looks bright.

This turnaround has just happened recently but has been in the works for some time. The language issue will remain but for those who are willing to integrate in this environment there will be more and more opportunities. Some still have an outdated point of view of Montréal. It may take some time to sink in. But,most will soon find out as It becomes more obvious.This city has become a strong competitor and has a more appealing job market. We have a work in progress of key fundammentals that will strengthen our economy. 

There will be a need for a well qualified work force to sustain a dynamic economy and Montreal with its great quality of living and low costs will become even more attractive for university and tech school grads, local and outsiders.

Just ask the vast majority of McGill soon-to-be graduates and they will tell u that as soon as they get their degree, they gonna flew out of this city. They dont wanna stay. Just party here.

il y a 35 minutes, Rocco a dit :

Just ask the vast majority of McGill soon-to-be graduates and they will tell u that as soon as they get their degree, they gonna flew out of this city. They dont wanna stay. Just party here.

Whatever, leurs frais de scolarité des non-locaux sont plus élevés, et financent en parti notre système d'éducation supérieur. Ça fait parti de la game. S'ils restent, tant mieux. 

il y a une heure, mark_ac a dit :

I respect your point of view Frank, but this is just down right a mediocre answer. 

Very Montreal like attitude "If they don't like it leave" - as hundred's of thousands of montrealers have left the city along with hundred's of HQs.

At some point you're going to have to give a shit. 

We can't make them like us.  We can't get bullied to become what the ROC wants us to be just to be liked by them.  Sure, there are things we can do to improve our attractiveness, but we can't change what we are to please the ROC crowd.  We need to please ourselves first and try to attract people who like us for what we are, not try to attract people who want us to be something we are not.

Il y a 1 heure, mark_ac a dit :

I respect your point of view Frank, but this is just down right a mediocre answer. 

Very Montreal like attitude "If they don't like it leave" - as hundred's of thousands of montrealers have left the city along with hundred's of HQs.

Again, what's the alternatives sir? Let's focus on students leaving to join Anglophonia land, since this is the topic of conversation here. 

P.S: I was going to go on a mini-rant. But I'll let you clearify your position first. 

50 minutes ago, mark_ac said:

What HQs have moved from Montreal to Toronto in the last 20 years? CAE and Valeant moved the other way.

Just for interest to show the change in trend, according to Stats Can in 1999 Toronto had 826 Head Offices with 49,600 employees, Montreal had 596 with 36,700 employees. By 2009, Toronto had 793 and Montreal 443 with 54,000 and 32,800 employees respectively. So a huge drop in staff in Montreal. In the latest number just released a few weeks ago for 2015, Toronto is at 690 and Montreal at 381 with 75,000 and 42,200 employees respectively. So, Toronto growth has been strong, Montreal saw a massive turn around and across the board companies are getting larger.

Je tiens quand même à préciser que le thread est justement que les "millenials" préfèrent Montréal à Toronto... donc si les jeunes de McGill sont pas heureux, il y en a amplement d'autres qui le sont!

Encore ce débat absurde...

McGill et Concordia ont un taux très élevé d'étudiants venus de l'extérieur du Québec et qui n'ont jamais eu l'intention de demeurer ici après leur formation. Une forte proportion est unilingue anglophone et dans plusieurs domaines, on voit mal comment ils pourraient s'intégrer au marché du travail montréalais, à moins que les francophones les "accommodent" en acceptant de travailler systématiquement en anglais, dans tous les domaines. Et même là, la plupart des étudiants venus des autres provinces ou des États-Unis retourneraient dans la Unilingual fortress north America de toute manière. 

C'est donc un faux débat, inutile, qui ne reflète que l'incompréhension ou la mauvaise foi de ceux qui l'entretiennent. 

Comme le taux de rétention des étudiants étrangers francophones est bien supérieur, c'est là-dessus que nous devrions nous concentrer au lieu de gaspiller de l'argent à financer des étudiants canadiens-anglais. Ce fut une erreur majeure, par exemple, de rehausser les frais de scolarité des étudiants français qui viennent à l'université au Québec. D'un point de vue pragmatique, l'argent québécois investi dans les étudiants parisiens qui vont à l'université de Montréal a plus de chance de rapporter au Québec que l'argent investi dans les étudiants torontois qui vont à McGill.  

Voilà ce qu'un regard purement business sur la situation devrait nous amener à conclure. Mais il y a ici des gens qui se prétendent "business" mais qui au fond ne font que reproduire du vieux ressentiment irrationnel. 

Modifié par uqam+
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, GDS said:

What HQs have moved from Montreal to Toronto in the last 20 years? CAE and Valeant moved the other way.

Just for interest to show the change in trend, according to Stats Can in 1999 Toronto had 826 Head Offices with 49,600 employees, Montreal had 596 with 36,700 employees. By 2009, Toronto had 793 and Montreal 443 with 54,000 and 32,800 employees respectively. So a huge drop in staff in Montreal. In the latest number just released a few weeks ago for 2015, Toronto is at 690 and Montreal at 381 with 75,000 and 42,200 employees respectively. So, Toronto growth has been strong, Montreal saw a massive turn around and across the board companies are getting larger.

Interesting to compare average staff per HO based on the 2015 numbers. It comes out to 110 for MTL and 108 for TO. With the H.O of the Big 5 banks in TO, why is MTL slightly above Toronto's. The CIBC announced last week the construction of their new HO building to house their 15000 employees. All may not be considered HO staff for the stats but this is how the news came out.. 

Anyway, this raises a question. Bank HO's do have very large staff, how come this does not show in a  higher average? One answer could be that Toronto has a large number of Head Offices for relatively small companies compared to Montreal if we exclude the big 5.

One thing I have noticed is that American companies tend to choose Toronto ( for geography and  language) for their Canadian operations HO's. Are those included? I believe they should be and they are many. But they are in no way global HQ's.

Montreal HO's are a long way more for companies based in Canada. The mtl numbers, after all may be better than we think.

Modifié par gomtl

Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

• Créer...