Aller au contenu

Commerce au détail: Nouvelles, tendances, analyses

IluvMTL

Messages recommendés

For downtown, this is what happens (and I say this again) when you have idiots in charge that are regressive. Being downtown daily, I get to observe this on a daily occurrence. To sum up: 

- Endless construction and coordination so bad that even people with half a brain could probably coordinate better = discourages people to come

- Parking metres now until 11pm, done without any consultation. 

- Increase in property taxes + covid loan re-payments, it's hurting everyone.

- STM issues- mainly the increased presence of homeless people, discouraging people to venture downtown and stay at home.

- Workers are not coming back 5x a week... I think it will stay this way for a while. I go to the office every day, I'd say only a handful do that, others are there 2-3x a week (less now due to the strikes). Downtown is hovering at 80% vs pre-pandemic levels, although Wednesdays-Thursdays sometimes surpass pre-pandemic levels pedestrian wise. This is also the case during the summer. 

- All levels of government have not invested enough in downtown or to incentivise people to go back downtown. The tuition bull S**t from the CAQ will also harm downtown even more starting next year. 

- Recession, inflation, less spending, obviously will lead to retailers being hurt. 

However, on the bright side: 

- New to market players have made their presence downtown, will continue next year but it will be at a slower pace.

- New part of St. Catherine is booming, vacancy rates are insanely low

- We'll lose retail, but gain restaurants, I'm okay with that. 

- Festival season this summer broke records, which will most likely lead to a longer festival season and investment (if all parties agree, obvs) and will lead to more people going back. 

- With Maestria being close to full completion, along with SP1, and Livmore phase 1 (which is almost 100% leased) just those projects alone will add about 4K people downtown. Retail is fine close to residential areas, it's the ones located in purely office areas that are struggling. 

I'm not too worried yet, it's been a tough 3 years and it will take a while to recover. But we have to remember, not only are governments, world events and economic factors to blame, but so are people's behaviours. I always hear people complain about downtown "dying" but also do nothing to go support downtown (screw anyone like that, btw). 

• Like 1

We've got Maestria x 2, Livmore x 2, 1 Sq Phil x 2 coming along, yet we're still full of those shitty trashy businesses along Ste-Cathy between Phillips Square and Jeanne-Mance. Will never understand how Montreal never gets pulled upward. Always downwards. How can a prestigious street as Ste-Cath be so full of desperate dirty shops in an area booming with luxurious condos?!

Oh yeah, answered myself. They'll be dropping at De La Savane metro and taking that passerelle. Right. 

il y a une heure, Rocco a dit :

We've got Maestria x 2, Livmore x 2, 1 Sq Phil x 2 coming along, yet we're still full of those shitty trashy businesses along Ste-Cathy between Phillips Square and Jeanne-Mance. Will never understand how Montreal never gets pulled upward. Always downwards. How can a prestigious street as Ste-Cath be so full of desperate dirty shops in an area booming with luxurious condos?!

Oh yeah, answered myself. They'll be dropping at De La Savane metro and taking that passerelle. Right. 

To shop at Garage and Dynamite...

• Haha 1

Il y a 8 heures, denpanosekai a dit :

Love to see verdun doing so well(ington) 

Doing my part weekly 

C'est bien de vouloir encourager l'économie de Verdun en général et la Wellington en particulier mais je suggère de le faire en évitant le Sushi Time -Viet Express

https://www.24heures.ca/2023/09/29/3-restos-de-montreal-qui-ont-recu-plus-de-2000-damendes-du-mapaq-en-septembre 

• Sad 1