Aller au contenu

Banque de l'infrastructure du Canada (BIC): où sera t'elle située?

ThinkBig

Où sera situé la Banque d'infrastructure du Canada selon vous?  

66 membres ont voté

1. 1. Où sera situé la Banque d'infrastructure du Canada selon vous?

• Montréal
    • Toronto
    • Vancouver
    • Calgary
    • Une autre ville au pays

Messages recommendés

..... Toronto is a greater city than Montreal - on all fronts.

I often agree with you on many fronts. Taxes, language policies, union power etc... And I get your point about Montreal not doing well enough, not reaching it's full potential and not being oriented enough towards business/money. And because of that Montréal is not ''able to compete'' with other major cities, including Toronto, as you love to mention. It's all valid and, up to a point, it makes sense. But you are loosing me when you say things like : ''Toronto is a greater city than Montreal - on all fronts.'' Because not only it isn't true at all, but in this world, fortunately, it's not only about cold cash business. There's a lot of other things that counts for people, regardless of their wealth. Maybe these things are not important to you, but the city is not only about you nor about financial success.

The issue with Bombardier remains the dual class of shares. A disproportionate amount of benefit and control is retained by one family.

Stop the anti-Quebec paranoia, there's a legitimate reason why BBD is in this mess.

We are not talking of the same company or what? Granted, bbd is a risky but well calculated bet. You like to talk about quebeckers missing great opportunities. Well, there is one, and both the caisse and Québec know that and they jumped in.

*What hurts here is that Ottawa has been so reluctant and conditional when like andre md says multivoting shares are common and the best way to protect against an hostile takeover. Without these shares, bbd would be, for sure, a european co by now? Anyway, this is no longer a condition. As a quebecker, i would have expected to see the fed share with urge this great opportunity and challenge for our country,

If we are ''playing'' politics and trying to make deals in order to satisfy as many people/provinces/cities as possible, then you can bet anything that the same thing is actually happening at the political level.

They are also trying to find the best deal for eveyone.

What we have so far is Bombardier, the upcoming BIC, the pan-canadian securities commission and you can add the Champlain bridge, the Air Canada/Aveos disaster, the port of Montreal and maybe other things we are not aware of, or that i'm not aware of. And all these will be part of the equation.

You can add the pipeline and equalzation payments.

The issue with Bombardier remains the dual class of shares. A disproportionate amount of benefit and control is retained by one family.

Stop the anti-Quebec paranoia, there's a legitimate reason why BBD is in this mess.

Of course they don't like that! They would love to take over Bombardier and move it to its rightful place: Toronto. And then, miraculously, no one would think they get too much money from the federal Government...

Of course they don't like that! They would love to take over Bombardier and move it to its rightful place: Toronto. And then, miraculously, no one would think they get too much money from the federal Government...

We could debate endlessly as to why Bbd is such an issue. Your statement says it all. We dont need to say more.

I started with bbd. Sorry qwerty, lets go back to the BIC.

What about the Thompson-Reuters what about the George Weston Company. Same thing both controled by family . Ontarians are fu... hypocrite. We should move the federal capital to Moncton or Winnipeg . Ontario having the lion share of federal spending (jobs , supplies etc....)

When's the last time Thompson-Reuters or the George Weston Company needed continued government support in order to survive?

I understand that there is a need to support the aerospace sector and its workers just like the EU/US/Brazilian governments do with Airbus/Boeing/Embraer but none of those companies are a family owned entity that in eyes of many Canadians are responsible for the miss-management that has absolutely destroyed share holder value over the course of the past 15-20 years.

The beaudoin family likes to say that the dual-share structure protects the company from a hostile takeover, it's true but it's also a very convenient way of keeping them relevant in the political arena.

Missmanagement... really not that bad for a family owned company, which start as a snowmobile maker to become one of the biggest mass transit manufacturer and the third airplane builder. Usually family owned companies having as much success than full public companies. Exemple like Walmart, Saputo, Couche-Tard, Georges Weston , Thompson Reuters...... Market capitalisation of BBD at 3 billions $ doesn't make any sense. It worth, way more than that. The biggest mistake of BBD was to start too many projects at the same time. The Learjet 85, the Global 7000 , and 8000 and the CSeries. Way too much.

When's the last time Thompson-Reuters or the George Weston Company needed continued government support in order to survive?

I understand that there is a need to support the aerospace sector and its workers just like the EU/US/Brazilian governments do with Airbus/Boeing/Embraer but none of those companies are a family owned entity that in eyes of many Canadians are responsible for the miss-management that has absolutely destroyed share holder value over the course of the past 15-20 years.

The beaudoin family likes to say that the dual-share structure protects the company from a hostile takeover, it's true but it's also a very convenient way of keeping them relevant in the political arena.

Modifié par andre md

If we are ''playing'' politics and trying to make deals in order to satisfy as many people/provinces/cities as possible, then you can bet anything that the same thing is actually happening at the political level.

They are also trying to find the best deal for eveyone.

What we have so far is Bombardier, the upcoming BIC, the pan-canadian securities commission and you can add the Champlain bridge, the Air Canada/Aveos disaster, the port of Montreal and maybe other things we are not aware of, or that i'm not aware of. And all these will be part of the equation.

You're right. I'm betting the trade will be : BIC in Mtl against the pan-canadian securities thing. More like it than trading for Bombardier. Unfortunately, because Mtl already has a good securities agency.

You're right. I'm betting the trade will be : BIC in Mtl against the pan-canadian securities thing. More like it than trading for Bombardier. Unfortunately, because Mtl already has a good securities agency.
Does anyone know here at this moment, how significant this new bank will really be? We are getting into a new way of financing.I know China has set up an Asian Bank to foster infrastructure financing aid to develloping asian countries. I dont know how well this is workinq out.Is there a bright future for this type of partnership? Could this Bank turn out to be an empty shell?The Caisse appears to be promoting the idea, a good sign, But there is a lot of unknown here. With the AMF, we know we would be loosing a strong well established regulating body.