Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

what alternative fact.... if Montreal loses the BIC, we become more marginalized which shows just how inconsequential and un-strategic the city has become in the eyes of government.

So before you continue your little hissy fit, listen to what I'm saying. Do you think as a Montreal that i'm rejoicing in the prospect of more power going down the 401?

Too bad that board members here resort to name calling and ridicule.

If we loose the BIC it is maybe because the liberals have no county to loose in Mtl at the next election and it's not the case in Toronto.

Before that...read this:

There’s a Surprise Leader in Canada’s Race for Smart Global Jobs - Bloomberg

• Réponses 891
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Sorry Marc, but I agree with FMfranck. If we were to "lose" the BIC, it would be a politcal decision by the federal gov't. I don't think you can pin that down on anything that Montreal has done or not done.

If we loose the BIC it is maybe because the liberals have no county to loose in Mtl at the next election and it's not the case in Toronto.

Before that...read this:

There’s a Surprise Leader in Canada’s Race for Smart Global Jobs - Bloomberg

Crosbyshow brings another VERY good point!

However, power is continuously consolidating in Toronto. We need to regain power, and influence in this country - and losing the BIC is just one more nail in the Montreal coffin of a secondary city marginalized by the behemoth down the 401. The fact that Montreal "seems" to have been ruled out, I find is very unfortunate and a true indicator of the city's attractiveness.

Look, if the federal CHOOSES TORONTO, it'll demonstrate more than that for a lot of montrealers. You give arguments for why the BIC would be a good fit in Toronto, but there are even stronger arguments as to why it'd be a good fit here. So what would it really say if Toronto were to get the BIC? It'd say the same thing that the auto industry handouts (in relation to Bombardier) and the Muskrat falls federal provisions demonstrate. It'll consolidate the impression that above all, the ROC (especially Ontario) find a way to make Canada put its interest first over and over again.

what alternative fact.... if Montreal loses the BIC, we become more marginalized which shows just how inconsequential and un-strategic the city has become in the eyes of government.

So before you continue your little hissy fit, listen to what I'm saying. Do you think as a Montreal that i'm rejoicing in the prospect of more power going down the 401?

Too bad that board members here resort to name calling and ridicule.

Well, welcome aboard. I am also sad to see opportunities going down the 401, like many others on this forum? The Feds décisions are out of our control. Toronto and Ottawa, Ontario take all the decisions they want, no matter the logic behind.

Montrealers have long realised this. We know our future outside Canada is much brighter. Not too long ago, this meant seperation. Now montrealers are very active all over the world like in no other provinces. The lack of opportunities coming from Canada is a great souce of motivation for our entrepreneurs to go international.

Come on Mark jump in. I do not have a crystal ball, but i know one thing.

This city is working hard and opening itself to the world. We are thinking out of the box. We are not sittng in the station waiting for the train to come by from Ottawa.

We need to call a spade a spade - our city just doesn't have enough capital resources for this bank to work. It needs to be close to the center of power and money - which is Toronto. There's no other strategic rationale as to why else this could be.

`No other strategic rationale!!!???`You have a single-minded hobby-horse which blinds you considerably as to the complexity of the world you live in. 1. There are considerable political strategic implications here. The PMO is Toronto dominated and the Ontario Liberals are in deep trouble and a nice little federal gift might strengthen their standing. Also, Ontario, much more likely than Quebec, could slide into Conservative voting territory if the Feds don`t play ball. 2. Expertize in infrastructural financing is another strategic consideration. Montreal, from all accounts, has the most experience in this domaine and much of the new Bank`s policy has been guided by the Quebec experience in infrastructural financing. In general, we are dealing with a politically charged and unequal playing field here and Quebec and Montreal will have to pull out all the stops to win this. If it goes to Toronto, you can be sure that service to potential francophone clients will suffer. Bilingualism in Toronto is a sorry joke.

I think we all need a breather. There's been so much good news lately, let's relax.

I just finished my second short film on Montreal, from the perspective of francophone tourists from around the world. It's pretty special, I'd love if you guys could check it out. I know this isn't the appropriate thread but it's one of the more popular ones and I think it goes hand in hand with the idea that Montreal is getting noticed more and more on the world stage. I'm not making a penny off this project, just trying to get them to go viral and spread the word on Montreal.*

I also made one featuring English-speaking tourists last month, which you can see here:

La ont dit n'importe quoi . Citions en exemple Investissement PSP . 450 de leur 600 employees sont a Montréal et géré les fonds pensions de la GRC et les forces de reserve avec un actif de 117 milliard de dollars . Ces le fonds de pension qui a le meilleur rendement au Canada et celui qui grossit le plus vite grace a sont équipe en place a Montréal. Le BIC devrait ce trouve dans une ville bilingue , pour desservir tous les Canadiens(iennes) dans leur langue. Montréal a les ressources necessaire pour ce bureau . Par contre, si le gouvernement choisie Toronto ou toute autre vile , ca seras une decision purement politique pour conserve les votes acquise . Pour terminer je crois nos chances sont égale avec Toronto pour ce bureau.

..we can't even land a federal government agency, where most of the engineering/infrastructure hub in this country is Montreal...

Marc, you are pointing out an interesting fact here.

You well know that there are powerful lobbies that influence decisions in Ottawa. But you got to believe me; those effective lobbies are mostly Ontario/Toronto centric.

Furthermore, expect the same mentality from some senior public servants, where Quebecers are grossly underrepresented.

The mentality of secretly sticking it to Quebec is present in some specific shops I worked in.

So, no, I won’t be surprised if Toronto gets it. But for different reasons you are implying.

PS: I got a few stories I’ll explain once I go on retirement (I’m getting close to 35 years svc)

Modifié par YUL

Invité
Ce sujet ne peut plus recevoir de nouvelles réponses.

Countup

• Créer...