Aller au contenu

Condos O'Nessy - 15 étages

mtlurb

Messages recommendés

Hi everyone, I moved to Montreal a year ago so I can't write french. Unless I use google translate. Hope it's okay if I write in english. I've been using google translate and it's been working out for me.

Anyway's I have a question for everyone, I'm looking at the northwest corner unit with the long balcony near the highway off ramp/Rene Levesque. On a high floor (10 & above) does anyone think the noise level would be too loud with the balcony windows open or even just relaxing on the balcony? I've never lived on a busy street before, especially beside an off ramp. Just wondering if anyone ever lived in an similar unit like this and how was there experience dealing with sound. Any perspective is much appreciated!

merci beaucoup!

Merci

Hi everyone, I moved to Montreal a year ago so I can't write french. Unless I use google translate. Hope it's okay if I write in english. I've been using google translate and it's been working out for me.

Anyway's I have a question for everyone, I'm looking at the northwest corner unit with the long balcony near the highway off ramp/Rene Levesque. On a high floor (10 & above) does anyone think the noise level would be too loud with the balcony windows open or even just relaxing on the balcony? I've never lived on a busy street before, especially beside an off ramp. Just wondering if anyone ever lived in an similar unit like this and how was there experience dealing with sound. Any perspective is much appreciated!

merci beaucoup!

Merci

It depends on you personally. I live on the 14th floor overlooking the Bonaventure and we sleep with the windows open all the time sans problème. Construction and snow ploughs can be minorly annoying, but having lived downtown in several big cities in Canada, it's not that different anywhere. Having said that, some house guests have found it too loud to sleep with the windows open on nights we haven't even noticed noise, so I guess it depends on how quiet you like it to be!

Hi ideaswithin and welcome to the forum! You won't have any problem participating in any discussions in english as we already have many members on this forum that prefer to express themselves in english.

There is a little park right accross the street (esplanade Ernest-Cormier) which is actually nice to check out. Spend a bit of time there if you can in different times of day (morning and evening rush, have a 5à7 with someone) and you will get a good feeling of the noise levels.

Modifié par franktko

merci beaucoup!

Merci

I could see it being loud at that corner. Because cars are at a standstill at the red light on Rene-Levesque. Lots of stop and go. Unlike free flowing traffic. Depends on your noise sensitivity like DavidB mentioned.

merci beaucoup!

Merci

As hockey19 mentioned, for many people it's worse to have irregular traffic sounds. For others, it's an intersection where one artery has way more traffic than the other...

I've spent about a third of the past 28 years that i've lived in Mtl appts, living on major arteries. In my younger years i've found busy intersections to not bother that much whenever traffic was "even", like a steady background noise. After a few days spent sleeping with windows opened each spring, i got quite accustomed to the daily cycles of noise / relative calmness. I've lived at the corners of: St. Catherine E. / Pie-IX Blvd. in HoMa, Sherbrooke W. / Décarie Blvd. in NDG (next to eponymous Hwy), St. Denis / De Maisonneuve Blvd. in the Latin Quarter, St. Laurent Blvd / Des Pins Ave., and 3 other Plateau residential settings thereafter.

The worst place of them all for my quality of sleep was in a residential sector of the Plateau Mont Royal Borough, on Laurier E. just 2 homes away from De Lorimier Ave. It features intense northbound traffic from Jacques Cartier Bridge (it's also a trucking & bus route) for about a minute, then it gets relatively quiet while the light was green on Laurier. And then suddenly back to "VRRRRROOMMM!", punctuated by 10-wheelers' uber-loud Jacob brakes... non-stop from 4:30 a.m. till 12:30 a.m.! Sundays are slightly quieter, with an added 2 to 4 hours, mainly in the morning, and a tad less in the evening. It was nerve-wrecking all summer-long, whereas i found previous noisy locations to not bother my sleep that much!

Hence, it's very relative... Just don't be too impulsive in buying a property next to a noisy environment... take your time! :cool:

Modifié par FrancSoisD
Ajout d'éléments.

Thanks a lot everyone for getting back to me. Great answers! For resale purposes, do any of you think the unit would be a problem to sell because of the sound factor? Even though it has all other great features like, good view, good sun orientation, good location. How much importance does noise/sound have when it comes to selling? Is it a huge factor? Thanks!

As hockey19 mentioned, for many people it's worse to have irregular traffic sounds. For others, it's an intersection where one artery has way more traffic than the other...

I've spent about a third of the past 28 years that i've lived in Mtl appts, living on major arteries. In my younger years i've found busy intersections to not bother that much whenever traffic was "even", like a steady background noise. After a few days spent sleeping with windows opened each spring, i got quite accustomed to the daily cycles of noise / relative calmness. I've lived at the corners of: St. Catherine E. / Pie-IX Blvd. in HoMa, Sherbrooke W. / Décarie Blvd. in NDG (next to eponymous Hwy), St. Denis / De Maisonneuve Blvd. in the Latin Quarter, St. Laurent Blvd / Des Pins Ave., and 3 other Plateau residential settings thereafter.

The worst place of them all for my quality of sleep was in a residential sector of the Plateau Mont Royal Borough, on Laurier E. just 2 homes away from De Lorimier Ave. It features intense northbound traffic from Jacques Cartier Bridge (it's also a trucking & bus route) for about a minute, then it gets relatively quiet while the light was green on Laurier. And then suddenly back to "VRRRRROOMMM!", punctuated by 10-wheelers' uber-loud Jacob brakes... non-stop from 4:30 a.m. till 12:30 a.m.! Sundays are slightly quieter, with an added 2 to 4 hours, mainly in the morning, and a tad less in the evening. It was nerve-wrecking all summer-long, whereas i found previous noisy locations to not bother my sleep that much!

Hence, it's very relative... Just don't be too impulsive in buying a property next to a noisy environment... take your time! :cool:

Wow, you lived everywhere! Thanks for the advice. For the worst spot you lived in, what floor were you on?