Aller au contenu

La NBA revient à Montréal

MtlMan

Messages recommendés

Such an interesting thread indeed

Regarding wealth creation (not hourly productivity at work),  Montreal's low per capita GDP (within the OECD) can be a cause for concern

It'd be interesting to map out this wealth distribution (West vs East) (BTW don't underestimate Detroit. The city per se may be extremely poor  but the affluent suburbs host major hotspots for wealth creation)

Anyway, an interesting benchmark  would be to compare: Montreal, Melbourne, Minneapolis, Seattle and Hamburg on: Wikipedia

I think that this sharp contrast between the US and Canada / Australia is due to country-specific factors

It might be  corporates  HQ-ed in US have far reaching potential to generate wealth on an international scale while Aussie/Canadian cities have corporates with domestic span

Also Aussie and Canadian cities have lots of foreign companies that re-route capital back to the US while tax revenues generated in Canada/Australia is too weak to contribute any significant impact on GDP

Finally, the US produces high value-added end-products (IT, automobiles, Big Pharma, etc)  while Canada and Australia being a hotbed for mineral resources produce intermediate products with limited value

As for the NBA team, I believe Montreal has the potential to attract world class NBA players from the French PRO A and why not Spain, ex-Yugoslavia or the Baltics

I actually think Montreal can ace it big time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

il y a 4 minutes, mark_ac a dit :

Then do yourself a favor, read the stats. It will enlighten you.

And this is why there's only 1 MLB team in Canada, 1 NBA team in Canada, and 0 NFL team in Canada. Also why the NHL has extreme reluctance to move franchises from the US (*Hurricanes/Panthers/Coyotes) to canada - where it's a much more natural market. Look at the troubles the Ottawa Senators are facing...

This is not a Montreal vs. Toronto conversation. But Toronto is the only city with the population/dollar base to afford major league franchises. Montreal (and Vancouver) lack the corporate dollars and the population wealth to afford major league prices. This is just reality. 

Moi je parle avec des stats à l’appui. And by the way you’re the one who always brings up Toronto ein. I was just pointing out why the GDP per capita argument was irrelevant considering that the gap between the two cities is tiny compared to the one with Seattle. Anyways instead of arguing on why we aren’t good enough to do big things, I choose to be optimistic. 

il y a 11 minutes, mark_ac a dit :

Toronto's GDP per capita is nearly 20% higher than Montreal, on a population that is 50% larger than Montreal. Do the math, there's so much more money as an aggregate sum vs. Montreal. This is why baseball is on the fence about returning to Montreal - and why luxury brands shy away from the city but I digress ;)

Toronto GDP is $304B US vs. Montreal at $155B US. There's $150B more dollars of economic value in the GTA vs. MTL. Don't hate the messenger, these are the facts.

Toronto c’est $304B CAN pas US. Montréal $155B US donc $200B CAN.

304/6,3 Millions=48250$

200/4,2 millions=47600$

20% Gap ? I might hate the messenger if his facts aren’t accurate.

Modifié par Ousb
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Ousb said:

Déja en 2015 notre PIB etait de 193 milliards pas 187. Et puis tu tes pas trompé c’est pas vrai, le chiffre du PIB de Toronto de $304B, il est partout meme sur international.gc.ca c’est un chiffre officiel qui date de 2017. Arrête de changer les chiffres pour appuyer tes affirmations. Tes vraiment pas fiable. Discussion stérile.

Mark's numbers are correct. There is a 10k/PP difference in GDP between Montreal and Toronto. Why don't you just check StatCan ?

• Thanks 1

Here is my opinion. Montreal has no or very limited American black culture. I cannot see how our french city can relate to the NBA. I'm not saying that there is something wrong with us but it just isn't there. We need BOLD owners to show off our differences. Otherwise, this is just going to produce cringe-worthy momemts at the Bell Center where french culture will try to be too "black American" to try to fit in.

Here is what I think we should do if ever we get any more NBA games. Embrace the shit out of our difference. We are a white french speaking city? Who cares. Play Alouette at every bucket the teams sinks in. Be proud of it and show it off because you cannot compete with "black" southern US cities.

Toronto shines in this aspect. Drake is an international superstar and he is the ambassidor for the Raptors. The typical core demographic just isn't here.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

When the Pacers were created, Indianapolis was 85% white, they were still basketball crazy. Same can be said about Salt Lake City. Instead of seeing this as an african american / white american divide, I think its rather an urban/country one. Baseball and football are more popular in rural environments, and basketball and soccer are more popular in large metropolitan centers. Soccer is where the trend is at its most evident, but basketball is also more popular with millennials and liberal-minded people (according to a gallup poll : http://news.gallup.com/poll/224864/football-americans-favorite-sport-watch.aspx).  

With that in mind, I dont see why basketball wouldn't be a success here. 

I am just saying that Montreal has its own vibe and it is very far from African american culture. We really do not compare to any of the cities you listed. I too beleive that the NBA can survive here but not as a copy of what is presented everywhere else as it shouldn't be.