The Saudi capital is unlikely to become an alternative to Dubai any time soon

May 11th 2013 | RIYADH |From the print edition

THE glass-clad skyscrapers are reaching ever higher into Riyadh’s dusty sky. The first tenants are due to move to the King Abdullah Financial District in the Saudi capital’s north-west later this year. But they may well find it a lonely place: enthusiasm is clearly lacking for the development, which boasts 42 buildings and 900,000 square metres of office space—similar in scale to London’s Canary Wharf.

Granted, new office districts often take time to come to life. Canary Wharf had to battle against sceptics for many years before becoming the success it is today. But it is unclear how Riyadh’s new district will develop into what it is meant to be: a sober Saudi alternative to Dubai’s exuberant International Financial Centre.

To date just 10% of the district’s office space has been leased; tenants will include the country’s stockmarket regulator, the Capital Markets Authority, and one large local bank, Samba. A further 10% is under negotiation, according to sources close to the developers of the project.

A big problem is its size. The Saudi economy may be doing well on the back of high oil prices, but not so well that its businesses could easily digest all the extra property. The new financial district has three times as much high-end office space as the rest of Riyadh. In other words, even if every company in the city’s plusher offices moved to the new district it would still be two-thirds empty.

Costs are another hurdle. “It might be prestigious but why should I pay an arm and a leg to be there?” asks a local executive. Some banks, like Arab National Bank and Al Rajhi Bank, are building new towers elsewhere. Even the Saudi central bank is thought to be staying where it is.

But if banks do not fill the space, then who will? Accountants, lawyers and insurance firms are not nearly numerous enough. They also remain to be convinced of the development’s merits. “There’s going to be all those towers, but for what? It looks like an overbuilt proposition,” says a Riyadh lawyer.

Nor are foreign firms likely to be of much help. Riyadh may be the centre of the region’s biggest economy, boasting more people and oil revenues than anywhere else. But unlike Dubai, as a financial centre the city is inward-looking, with banks largely servicing the domestic economy. That, as well as a lack of cultural life, prevent it from becoming a regional financial hub.

Yet at some point the new district may still serve its purpose. The owner has pockets deep enough to take the long view. The project was the brainchild of the Capital Markets Authority, with support from the Public Pensions Agency. One of the agency’s subsidiaries, the Rayadah Investment Company, has taken over the development, which is estimated to cost between $7 billion and $10 billion.

More important, so many near-empty buildings will be a political embarrassment, in particular since the new district carries the king’s name. Authorities may yet lean on the banks to move. Optimism and market forces alone will certainly not be enough to fill all the space.

From the print edition: Finance and economics

http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21577424-saudi-capital-unlikely-become-alternative-dubai-any-time-soon-empty?frsc=dg%7Cc

Créer un compte ou se connecter pour commenter

Vous devez être membre afin de pouvoir déposer un commentaire

Créer un compte

Créez un compte sur notre communauté. C’est facile !

Créer un nouveau compte

Se connecter

Vous avez déjà un compte ? Connectez-vous ici.

Connectez-vous maintenant

• Contenu similaire

• Par Djentmaster001
      I've always had the thought of what would happen if stores didn't close early in Montreal, mainly on the weekends. On one hand, it gives a nice work-life balance, but on the other hand, stores closing at 5 pm in a major city gives it a dead feeling. I've had friends from the states, and also people here who want stores to be opened later on weekends, preferably until 9 pm. 
      2. Bars being open till 6 am, with the last call being at 5:30 am. 
      The question is
      1. In your opinion: would you want retail/store hours extended until 9 pm on weekends, and would you want bars open until 6 am? 
      2. Would it benefit the economy, will things stay the same or will it be a boon?
      3. Will it have a huge impact on society? or a minimal one?

• Par Mondo_Grosso
      I know that many of you are against Montreal having it's own version of Time Square, but the point of this post is not to debate that. Rather, it's to look at potential locations if we had to chose one.
      Based on examples like Time Square in New York, Shibuya District in Tokyo,  Piccadilly Circus in London, Dundas Square in Toronto, I defined my own criteria as:
      Must be by an open area Must be close to commercial sector Must be accessible by metro At that, I have come up with Square Concordia, this is the area today:

Here is why I think that this is the ideal area:
      There are 3 large blind walls for the screens High density of 24/hour restaurants and bars High levels of foot traffic at all times Proximity to various festivals There are already renovated squares on each side of the street. The pedestrian area could be expanded to the parking lot on the right. There's a back lane in the lower right corner where food trucks could enter by and park in the square. A stage could also be setup there for events like Crescent Street Grand Prix Festival, Fantasia Film Festival, etc.

Highlighted in green are areas where a screen could go, solid green are screens on top of buildings, the yellow is where I would put food trucks or a stage:

These type of squares a great tourist attractions, both Toronto and New York list them at the top of tourist attractions. I also think that having a second public area in the west of downtown for smaller festivals would be a great compliment to the bigger festivals east at Place Des Festivals.
      Let me know what you think, if you have another suggestion, please share. Thank you for reading!

• Par Djentmaster001
      Various pics that I've taken in Montreal, mainly of street art, but I also post pics of buildings, cars, neighbourhoods, etc.... 

I post plenty of pictures here at https://the514lifeblog.wordpress.com/

• Par DonPictures
      "Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." - ALAN WATTS
      Salut, j'a fais une petite vidéo et je vous la partage. 
      Suivez moi sur instagram- @donpicturehd
      https://www.instagram.com/donpicturehd/
      Equipement utilisé: Principalement le Nikon D3400 LENSE: AF-P DX NIKKOR 18–55 mm f/3.5–5.6.
      Ça serait apprécier si vous vous abonnez à ma chaîne youtube. N'hésitez pas à commenter, merci!

• Par monctezuma
      Nom: Centre de données de Montréal
      Hauteur en étages:
      Hauteur en mètres:
      Coût du projet: 
      Promoteur: Fonds immobilier de solidarité FTQ, Urbacon, DTZ
      Architecte: Lemay
      Entrepreneur général:
      Emplacement: 544 rue de l'Inspecteur
      Début de construction: 2015
      Fin de construction: 
      Site internet: 
      Lien webcam: 
      Autres informations:  l'immeuble sera certifié LEED, l'immeuble actuel sera préservé et intégré
      photos historiques de l'immeuble de la Williams Wilson Limited :
      http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/large.php?accessnumber=VIEW-19598&zoomify=true&Lang=1&imageID=157827
      http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/large.php?accessnumber=VIEW-19604&zoomify=true&Lang=1&imageID=157830
      http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/large.php?accessnumber=VIEW-18314&zoomify=true&Lang=1&imageID=157536
      http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/large.php?accessnumber=VIEW-18316&zoomify=true&Lang=1&imageID=157538
      Rumeurs: 
      Aperçu artistique du projet: 

Maquette: 
      Autres images: 
      Vidéo promotionnelle: