Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

It isn't really my "vision". I was speaking to my mother this morning and she said the canal is never used. She would love to see people using it to kayak or turn it into another larger version of what they are doing to one of the Quai's in Old Montreal. It would be more than 6 km of fun during the summer and in the winter, it could be used to skate on (similar to the Rideau Canal in Ottawa).

Modifié par jesseps

• Réponses 21
  • Créé il y a
  • Dernière réponse

Membres prolifiques

Déjà si on pourrait faire ça avec le canal lachine, ça serait extraordinaire.

On peut le faire l'été! Pas plus tard que l'été dernier j'ai fait du Kayak sur le canal!

As for the La Verendrye Canal, it might have to do with the fact that this canal is used for fresh water supply of montreal

• 3 semaines plus tard...
Déjà si on pourrait faire ça avec le canal lachine, ça serait extraordinaire.

I finally read up on why they can't do it with the Lachine Canal, what a shame. I wouldn't mind chipping in some money, to an organization willing to make sure the Canal would be suited for winter skating.

• 1 année plus tard...
  • 1 année plus tard...
...and why can't they?

The sediment layer at the bottom of the canal is very heavily contaminated after decades of industrial use. There is strong concern that lowering the water level will lead to the sediment leyer getting stirred and heavy metals and the toxic soup being released into the water stream and ultimately into the St-Lawrence River.

In order to convert the canal for Winter recreational use, the water level would have to be brought down, like it is done in the Rideau and Chambly canals every year, thereby the problem.

The cost of decontaminating the 12kms of the canal would add up to millions. Also, there is concern that dredging up the bottom of the canal would weaken the sidewalls of the canal which are in fairly poor shape. Those walls would have to be repaired, increasing the tab that much more.