Aller au contenu

Messages recommendés

Bonjour a tous,

Taking a quick Super Bowl break to post something I've wanted to share with you for a few days.

Henry Aubin wrote in The Gazette what was presented as an article on the construction of "tall" new rental buildings downtown and questioning the wisdom of allowing this. I personally believe he's a little all over the place in his article and doesn't quite make a coherent argument. I think in the end what annoys me is that the how tall should we build question seems, for some reason, to often be present in this city.

Anyhow here's the link you guys judge for yourselves.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/high+high/4189941/story.html

Here was a letter in the Gazette today. I think this person makes some good points:

The elites vs. the rest

The Gazette February 9, 2011

The controversy over the Redpath mansion is a battle between Montreal's elite, represented by Phyllis Lambert and Dinu Bumbaru of Heritage Montreal, and those like Michael Sochaczevski who are not members of that elite. It is not about justice, because Lambert's nephew had the city falling all over itself changing zoning to 20 storeys in the Seville Theatre demolition case, despite the fact that the heritage theatre was left to disintegrate for a decade or more.

A city is an evolving entity, and should not be strangled by an elite who are interested, by definition, in maintaining the status quo. They want to keep outsiders from gaining power and making money. We, as mostly non-elite citizens of Montreal, cannot let this happen.

The analogy is to New York's Fifth Avenue. It was an avenue of great mansions before the 1930s and 1940s, but these were gradually demolished for 20-storey apartment buildings where that city's wealthy now reside. There are occasional mansions left along the avenue, mostly museums. And in the healthy, pro-evolution city that is New York, Fifth Avenue is a source of pride that all citizens share.

The Golden Mile area of Montreal, where development has been blocked by the elite, is full of deteriorating buildings. Lambert did the same thing to Park Ave. north of Sherbrooke. It is the most deteriorating block in the city, filled with ruins and parking lots, because Lambert effectively had her way 30 years ago.

Montreal is being strangled to death by a decadent, out-of-touch elite and their spokespersons at Heritage Montreal. Unfortunately, I think they are too strong, too entrenched in the structure of the city's government bureaucracy, media and politics, to be threatened by the concerns and wishes of the rest of us.

Charles Cole

Montreal

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/elites+rest/4247657/story.html

Montreal is being strangled to death by a decadent, out-of-touch elite and their spokespersons at Heritage Montreal. Unfortunately, I think they are too strong, too entrenched in the structure of the city's government bureaucracy, media and politics, to be threatened by the concerns and wishes of the rest of us.

Charles Cole

Montreal

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/elites+rest/4247657/story.html

Decadent ? What is this? The 19th century?

And since when Parc Ave, north of Sherbrooke, is the most deteriorating block in the city?

Pas fort.

I think he means decadent in the self-indulgent context.

Park north of Sherbrooke isn't that terrible, but whatever. You're missing his point.

The point is that a few loud mouths seem to be getting all the attention when it comes to urban issues and urban development. A very small (but very vocal) minority has a disproportionately high level of power and influence. (Bumbaru and his thugs)

I'm not saying allow a free-for-all development in the Golden Square Mile, but I don't even think you can classify the Redpath house as a house anymore.. it's unfortunately become the Redpath Ruins. If you can salvage the building, then do it now.. otherwise just let it go, man, and let private development restore life to the lot.

I liked his letter. It is true that there is a self-proclaimed group of elites in Montreal.

But in the case of the Golden Square Mile, I really prefer to keep concrete slabs out. The area has such a unique feel to it. It would be a shame to turn it into the Concordia ghetto. I prefer to keep these sorts of developments below Sherbrooke. (my opinion has more to do with architectural quality than height)

She's targeted because she and her family owns many lands in Montréal, théatre séville was one of them and it was torn down (not restored)...

Exactly. How come nobody goes after her (aside from this letter-writer)?